Handicap Adjustment Question

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit of history first. I joined a new club in June, having not been a member anywhere and only playing a few times a year for 5 years, after moving to a new area. On joining the new place I asked if I could take on my old handicap to save doing 3 cards. My previous handicap was 9, but they said no, understandably as it expired.

I put 3 cards in and was given a handicap of 12, as I was understandably a little rusty. Since then this has been my competition and handicap history.

17 Nov 12
Exceptional Scoring Reduction
17 Nov 12
Stableford
38 pts (08)
12 Sep 12
September
Midweek medal

81 - 09 = 72
15 Aug 12
August
Midweek Medal
82 - 09 = 73
11 Aug 12
Board Medal
84 - 09 = 75
4 Aug 12
August
Medal
80 - 09 = 71
28 Jul 12
Board Medal
85 - 09 = 76
+2
18 Jul 12
July
Midweek Medal

85 - 09 = 76
+1
29 Jun 12
Clause 23 Adjustment
27 Jun 12
June
Midweek Medal

83 - 12 = 71
Division 1 Winner
5 Jun 12
First Award

Now the original Clause 23 Adjustment I completely agree with as I said immediately that I felt my handicap was wrong and was just a result of being at a new club and being rusty.

I'm not sure I agree with the recent "exeptional scoring" reduction though. They have taken an extra 0.5 off me for last weekends competition. Granted I was 4 under handicap, but it was not a crazy low score and I was only 10th overall in the comp (nobody above me got any such adjustment)

Much as I ultimately want to play off as low a handicap as possible (and I've never been off 7 before), I want to get there in a fair manor, and I'm not sure I feel this is. Yes I've been in a steady run of form but my scoring hasn't been spectaculrar at all and I've not shot any really low scores. The 38 points was a 78. par is 72, standard scratch 73 and comp scratch went up to 74, depite there being 9 scores better than mine and 3 over 40 points.

I know this sounds like a bit of a moan, but it's generally not, I just wanted to see what others thought, and also whether this "expetional Scoring" adjustment is a normal thing (seeing as it's not quoted as another Clause 23)

Thanks for reading and any views
J

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Someone at our club recently shot 5 under, got cut the 1.0 (5 x .2) and then the same extra .5 for exceptional scoring. I think it must kick in at 4 under but may also depend on the CSS on the day.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is inline with the matrix in section 23.10

you have scored 2 x scores of -4 or better within a sequence of 10 Q scores or less which triggers the ESR

in your case the average of the 2 is -4, the sequence is between 5 and 9 scores and the result is -0.5 adjustment.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
congrats on the cut thats a fairly impressive season 8 comps all in buffer and below CSS its not a surprise that you have been flagged by the software for an ESR, with the aim to play to your handicap approx 30% of the time you are far exceeding this and therefore the cut is deemed fair.
ESR is currently being run as an ongoing trial and there are mixed opinions much the same as CSS but looking at your stats it seems fair to be you should be proud of such great regular scoring hat off to you fella. :thumb:

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. That's reassuring to know that it's an actual formulated response to my scoring rather than just the comp sec saying, "I know we'll cut this fella a bit extra" :). I guess then I'll have to readjust my target to 6 now! Best hit the short game area me thinks.

And pbrown, cheers, much appreciated

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ESR is mainly down to the computer. It puts a flag against your name for any score at -4 below css and flags it again if you do it within a certain period. The average of the 2 scores below css is then worked out and how many rounds between them there were. They then check a table which tells them how many to reduce you by. I had a ESR back in August for two rounds 3 rounds apart with an average of 5 below css(I think) which told them i needed an additional cut of 1 shot.