Hand Injury

WeekendHacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Strained muscle in my right hand (right handed golfer) about a week and a half ago hacking out of the rough on the 2nd hole. Played the rest of the round without 2 much bother, but it was killing from the 15th to the end (in hindsight mabe a bad idea). Now i've rested it 10 days and it's still not much better. Picked up a club today and even a light swing can feel quite a bit of pain. Anyone had a similar injury? If so, how long did it take to heal?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Strained muscle in my right hand (right handed golfer) about a week and a half ago hacking out of the rough on the 2nd hole. Played the rest of the round without 2 much bother, but it was killing from the 15th to the end (in hindsight mabe a bad idea). Now i've rested it 10 days and it's still not much better. Picked up a club today and even a light swing can feel quite a bit of pain. Anyone had a similar injury? If so, how long did it take to heal?

never had that problem.
either go see a doctor or go get a pain relief product from boots - like volterol

then learn how to play out of the rough.
If you can't see any of the ball above the grass (really buried) only use a wedge to chop it out.
If you can see half of the ball only, use an iron
If you are in the rough but you have full visibility, only then should you consider using a wood and going for the green

The idea on the wedge shot is to stick the club in the ground, not using a follow through, not only will this get you out of the rough but it will also prevent injury.

Sorry to hear you have sustained an injury and hope you are on the mend soon! Good luck

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
First question is how do you know it's a muscle strain? I had pain in my lower wrist last summer and just played on thinking it was muscluar and it would go away. Ended up missing the last 4 months of the year as it turned out to be a compression fracture.

Get it checked and get a proper diagnosis if you haven't already, that way you can figure out what you should/shouldnt do to get on the road to recovery.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a bad hand injury last year. I did mine hitting my ball from an un-repaired divot.

Like Greg, I played on with it and only made the situation worse.

After finally going to a doctor, an having an MRI, I was told I had ligament and nerve damage in my hand/wrist.

2 Months out.

Go and get some proper medical advise and listen to what you're told by them. If you don't you'll only make it worse.

WeekendHacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers for the replies. I'm kinda thinking it's a bit worse than originally thought. I might go to the doc soon, i'll give it another few days, either way i'll not be playing for a while. This is the first real injury i've had in 10 years playing! I think it is muscle/tendon injury cause I still have full use of hand. It only hurts when I try to pull/resist weight (like holding a kettle, changing direction on a golf swing - killer!) and it's a musle kind of pain. I really thought it would clear up in a week or so. Such is life.....