Halfway huts - how good is yours? (if you have one)

snakehips

Hacker
Visit site
Was talking about halfway huts with some pals the other night over a cheeky beer [or two].

Apart from the old debate regarding the potential for slow play - I don't want to start that one off here please - the main topics seemed to be value for money and opening hours. Some of the guys reckon a captive market leads to golfers being ripped-off.

What do forum members pay and do they think their prices are reasonable or over-the-top?

Personally I'd pay anything for a nice cold beer after 9 holes :thup: or some nice junk food or even high-end cuisine....

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't even know what a half-way hut is. My club and a lot of the other courses I play just have the lay-out so the 9th green / 10th tee are near the clubhouse anyway. And even then I never stop after nine, I have my first pint after the 18th.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH ours is more targeted at Visitors and isn't open before 11am so not opens most of the time i play so hardly if ever use it.

I played at Royal Dornoch last week and was peckish, they charged £1 for what looked like a fun sized Snickers.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We've just had one built - though it's between the 11th Green and 12th Tee. At the moment we are only opening it for special comps. Yet to decide whether or not to open it full time. Does it make a difference that the is not after the 9th?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My course doesn't have one, but I have played a few courses which do. Found them to be reasonably priced. I got a bacon roll for £2.50 and a coffee for £1. It wasn't amazing quality but was absolutely spot on for what I needed/wanted.

I normally bring stuff out with me, but I was hungry, playing terribly and everyone else was stopping.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My old oppos tell me that they one at Bowood (Wilts) is closed... new manager decided it wasn't making enough money so added a pound to all the prices.... so the locals stopped using it! Hotel guests were also unimpressed!

My own course doesn't get near the clubhouse till the 16th... so that counts that out.

Good ones, well managed are worth their weight in gold...

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
My old oppos tell me that they one at Bowood (Wilts) is closed... new manager decided it wasn't making enough money so added a pound to all the prices.... so the locals stopped using it! Hotel guests were also unimpressed!

My own course doesn't get near the clubhouse till the 16th... so that counts that out.

Good ones, well managed are worth their weight in gold...
Its been open everytime i've been there this year.....

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is really good. Run by a lovely couple Tina and Ian (Ian used to be head greenkeeper). Opens every day and all day at weekends. Tea/Coffee is 90p and Tina bakes a whole selection of goodies plus hot sausage rolls/slices etc and bacon/sausage baps at weekends. Her Eccles Cakes are world renowned :)

Most unusually if say a bottle of coke is on offer at £1 from the cash and carry then they charge a £1! David keeps falling for the temptation of two chunky kits kats for a pound...

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours is after our 8th hole.
It's ok, but I never use it anymore after the woman charged me 60p to squirt a tablespoon of cordial into a bottle of water I'd just bought from her. :(
I bring my own snap and drink now.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
We've just had one built - though it's between the 11th Green and 12th Tee [...] Does it make a difference that the is not after the 9th?

Yes. You can't call it the halfway hut or you will be in breach of the Trade Descriptions Act 1968. Can I recommend the "11/18th-of-the-way hut" or the "61.111...%-of-the-way hut". You might need a long sign. Alternatively, build four extra holes.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to love the half way hut at my old club, Stoke Rochford. It was next to the tenth green and served a great sausage and bacon bap. That and a coffee set you back less than £3.00. It did not hold people up as the food was part cooked and finished off in the pan. The system worked well as there was a clear view of 11th Green and the rule was you had to be ready to tee off when the group ahead reached the 11th Green (a driveable par 4 for some).
What it also did was space out the groupings and, actually, the rest of the round was normally at a better pace as there was a clear gap between groups that tend to bunch up on the front 9.
Having access to the clubhouse is just not the same. That was an option and Belton Park and an reason not to use the half way hut option that was there. By the time you had walked in, placed and order, waited for it to be cooked and served, you were looking at a 20 minute delay. Never used that option once in 4 years but used the half way hut at Stoke every week.