Half set of clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would only do it on a friendly round if there is a trolley ban and I wanted my bag to be lighter for carrying. And even then I tend to only leave a couple out and still have about 9 clubs in the bag.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Go for it. I've certainly not seen any detriment to my scoring when I've done it.

If it frees you up and removes pressure by reducing expectation then it should help 👍👍

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with reducing what you use. When I carry if there’s a trolley ban, I go D, 3h, 6i, 9i, 54wedge and putter.
I doubt you will score any less than you do normally.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whats peoples views on using half a set of clubs? I am Thinking of using D, 3H, 5,7,8, Pw, SW and Putter as my game seems to have went back over and I believe this is due to overthinking what clubs to use on shots.

I would try to space out the clubs better. Would not take 7 and 8 for example.

Many people take out odd or even numbered irons.

I started with a half set as a junior.

D

Deleted member 1147

During the winter I often use a half set. The clubs I've carried have been:

Driver, hybrid, 5 iron, 7 iron, 9 iron, gap wedge, lob wedge, putter

That should cover most eventualities

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing 9 holes I use a small carry bag , with a Dr, 3w, putter, alternating irons each week from 5,7,9 s/w, to ,6,8,p/w, s/w. No rescue clubs ATM

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A good idea to carry half a set in the winter and then after a couple of rounds, see what clubs you're not using much and swap them round. Certainly makes for more creative shotmaking.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have 3 pencil bags,one in locker at club with old shoes for impromptu/unplanned play and my 'proper' set divided evens&odds in the other 2.Over the course of the season I use half set probably more than full,it's easier, lighter and more fun imo,I rarely score better with full set

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I prefer the right tool for the job so I prefer to take a full set even for a nine hole summer round. That said I started as a junior with a half set as that was all I could afford from my post officand just playinge savings account. It never bothered me back then but there again I didn't have all the mental scars and hang ups as a ten year old happy to be out as often as I could be just playing

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
My "standard" set is only 8 clubs (D, 3H, 5, 7, 9, PW, 54deg, Pu) which gets me around in 90ish at the moment, but I'm pretty happy taking 4 only (3H, 8, PW or 50deg, Pu) and I'll score substantially the same. Just using one club (35deg 8i) only really hurts with putting.

That said, none of the courses I usually play at are very long (5,100 to 5,600m) and one of them only has two par 5s.

bm