Hahahahahahaha - Aimpoint

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did someone mention Aimpoint! Now it has been brought up again, I watched Adam Scott at Birkdale last week on 14 and he seemed to take a bit of time getting the feel of the slope. Twice he walked down it but then sank the putt. The other players seemed to take just as long lining the putts up from the other side of the hole/green.

Scott did confuse my daughter though as she wanted to know why he was walking all over his line.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm certainly not a advocate of this technique and do not use it.

but I can imagine that if people struggle with the process of reading greens - it will certainly help

Can't be all nonsense - Justin rose uses it

Last edited by a moderator:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The thing that bothers me about it is the straddling of the line. some that I have seen seem to be quite close to it.

I'm not sure if you can straddle the line correctly on a really large breaking putt without first having the line. You are more than likely going to step on it.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don't quite see how the finger guide thing works, I do often stand near my line to see if I can judge any subtle differences in slopes which then helps me read the line of the putt or reaffirms my initial thoughts.

Confidence building I suppose for me.

But I also look quite closely at the green as I'm walking up as you can often see contours etc better.

Each to their own.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Using your feet to determine slope along the line of a putt makes perfect sense. Using a finger to work out how far outside the hole you need to aim, doesn't. For me.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
IN SUPPORT OF AIMPOINT - my little story

So I thought I had this all figured out as my putting has settled into "acceptable" standard.
Although I sensed some guys still holing more 5-20ft putts than me.

Anyway, I went to Royal St Georges and had the benefit of a caddy giving me the read on the greens and I very quickly learned to trust him and learned that my reads are mostly quite a way off. I wish I could read greens like him but simply - I don't, I got it wrong 50% of the time.

So last night I went back to my course, with my AimPoint notes and got reading the targets according to AimPoint
And then... I started holing putts from everywhere!!! and that wasn't what happened when I first used Aimpoint - curiously?
But - the big difference is I've retrained my technicals so that I can hit a putt on line at the speed I want and I wasn't doing that before.

I don't care how I get the right read, but it's essential to successful putting.
Clearly not using AP properly I wasn't getting it right by a long way.
So using AimPoint is a great help to me personally - but in context you have to be able to do the line and speed part.

Interestingly I still found a putt I could not feel through my feet.
It was only 0.5 inch left of cup but I couldn't feel it through my feet at all.
Or by eyesite for that matter. And it wasn't the wind.

D

Deleted member 15344

IN SUPPORT OF AIMPOINT - my little story

So I thought I had this all figured out as my putting has settled into "acceptable" standard.
Although I sensed some guys still holing more 5-20ft putts than me.

Anyway, I went to Royal St Georges and had the benefit of a caddy giving me the read on the greens and I very quickly learned to trust him and learned that my reads are mostly quite a way off. I wish I could read greens like him but simply - I don't, I got it wrong 50% of the time.

So last night I went back to my course, with my AimPoint notes and got reading the targets according to AimPoint
And then... I started holing putts from everywhere!!! and that wasn't what happened when I first used Aimpoint - curiously?
But - the big difference is I've retrained my technicals so that I can hit a putt on line at the speed I want and I wasn't doing that before.

I don't care how I get the right read, but it's essential to successful putting.
Clearly not using AP properly I wasn't getting it right by a long way.
So using AimPoint is a great help to me personally - but in context you have to be able to do the line and speed part.

Interestingly I still found a putt I could not feel through my feet.
It was only 0.5 inch left of cup but I couldn't feel it through my feet at all.
Or by eyesite for that matter. And it wasn't the wind.

How are your scores now ? Is the Handicap coming down ?

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started the year with a HC of 21, now 19, some of that is down to hitting the ball better, some short game practice and some down to sinking more putts. I've had more 1 putts this year than I can remember and can safely say that while 3 putts are not totally banished they are a very rare occurrence now, so in that respect aimpoint has helped my a lot.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I started the year with a HC of 21, now 19, some of that is down to hitting the ball better, some short game practice and some down to sinking more putts. I've had more 1 putts this year than I can remember and can safely say that while 3 putts are not totally banished they are a very rare occurrence now, so in that respect aimpoint has helped my a lot.

And reducing the amount of 3 putts will inevitably speed up play which is one of the biggest bug bears on this site, so theirs a plus. And congrats on reducing the hc, anyone who thinks that Aimpoint alone will reduce your hc is barking, hell let's all buy the latest TM driver and we'll get DJ's driving distance, that's bound to get us down in handicap. Lol.