Guest rates

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Hopefully not and neither should anywhere else.
Having been a captain, I fundamentally disagree with that statement. The Captain of your club works their butt off (assuming they're any good), so why shouldn't they be given courtesy at other courses?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh bollocks! Ah well. Still worth it and happy to pay it to play with you, mate!
Westerham is £40 or £45 to play with a member at the weekend. Alternatively, wait until 2pm or so and you'll get it for £30 with or without a member!

If I stay a member is what I have to work out over the next month. My cost per round is probably nearer 150 over past year and that is mighty hard to justify!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Oh bollocks! Ah well. Still worth it and happy to pay it to play with you, mate!
Westerham is £40 or £45 to play with a member at the weekend. Alternatively, wait until 2pm or so and you'll get it for £30 with or without a member!

I’ve heard there’s a few iffy members at westerham ??

D

Deleted member 1418

Having been a captain, I fundamentally disagree with that statement. The Captain of your club works their butt off (assuming they're any good), so why shouldn't they be given courtesy at other courses?

Apparently Westerham members agreed you fell very much into the 'not very good' camp.........!! ;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Free golf for doing a bit of volunteering at a club, many of which have paid employees to do most of the work.
What about the volunteer match sec, who probably puts in a lot more hours than the captain. Should they get free golf?

Bratty

Visit site
Free golf for doing a bit of volunteering at a club, many of which have paid employees to do most of the work.
What about the volunteer match sec, who probably puts in a lot more hours than the captain. Should they get free golf?
Depends on the role of Captain, I guess. I know a few who stumped up £15k and attended 3 comps a week for pretty much their whole term. They deserved some perks! You're right though, it would be lovely for several people who do volunteer roles to get courtesy rounds too, but sadly that's not the way it works. And to suggest removing a perk/gift to all Captains because some don't do much seems rather harsh.

Reactions: Val

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Depends on the role of Captain, I guess. I know a few who stumped up £15k and attended 3 comps a week for pretty much their whole term. They deserved some perks! You're right though, it would be lovely for several people who do volunteer roles to get courtesy rounds too, but sadly that's not the way it works. And to suggest removing a perk/gift to all Captains because some don't do much seems rather harsh.

Why should a captain stump up £15k. That's both wrong and daft!

Bratty

Visit site
Why should a captain stump up £15k. That's both wrong and daft!
I kind of don't disgree with you!
They were expected to buy drinks for folks they played with and those they didn't most rounds they played. They were expected to fund several prizes and comp days in their year, halfway houses and such. One in Ireland was expected to buy a lot of Waterford crystal each time, and that ain't cheap! They were expected to host and pay for lunches for visiting "dignitaries" (I never understood what that was though). Private members clubs have some odd ways!
It cost me my membership when I did it (£1500) as I'm at a propriety club where most things are sorted by the company. So I'm actually one of the ones you mentioned! ? I'm just supporting the ones who actually did a lot.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Unless I am mistaken, things are not like that in Scotland.
On the likes of captain's day, you might pay more to enter the comp but you get a drink when you come in. I always assumed that cost was covered by those fees.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wisley is a great experience and a nice course that is in amazing condition. Played there 3 times in a match and will always remember rhe amazing pints of pimms on the terrace in glorious weather and the brilliant lunch spread that they laid on. I would always jump at the chance of playing. JCB is a superior course but a much bigger one that is also very tough. Would love to play again