Groupon - if your club accepts bookings beware!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
During the last fortnight our club has been accepting bookings under the Groupon scheme for a trial period. If our experiences are anything to go by then, be warned, if your club go down the same route you are in for a heap of trouble.

I played this morning at 9.24, and started behind two groups booked in under this scheme - a 4-ball and 2-ball, all in buggies. I realised things were going to be grim when I stood on the 1st tee at my start time and saw that the 4-ball, who had teed off at 9am, were only just on the 2nd tee, with the 2-ball right behind them.

I stood on the 3rd tee for a full 10 minutes and watched as the 2-ball stood in the fairway 220 yards from the green. A stiff breeze was against them, and yet they waited for the green ahead of them to clear. Fine, if they were half decent golfers, but as I followed them down that hole they took a further nine shots between them to reach the putting surface.

Things got so bad that, by the time I reached the 7th tee, there were 2 4-balls waiting on the 5th tee, a further 4-ball on the fairway and 4 more on the green. 16 people on the same hole because of the antics of those up ahead. The icing on the cake was a 4-ball of senior ladies behind me. All members, with a combined age in excess of 280, all walking the course. When they got to the 7th alongside me one of them phoned the shop and complained about the pace of those in front!!

I eventually got waved through and by the time I left the club at 1.30pm the two groups were still out on the course. Having spoken with the pro I am told that the trial has been a disaster and we will be accepting no further bookings after this week.

Complaints have ranged from agonising pace of play, obscenities being written on a following society's nearest the pin boards, foul language in the clubhouse and so on. Two players have been removed from the course so bad was their behaviour.

I would be interested to hear if other clubs accepting Groupon bookings have experienced similar issues.

D

Deleted member 1740

Our club sold 300 of these and we did struggle at times although not as bad as you've described.

We sold a toastie 18 holes and a 2 course meal for £24. Groupon took £12 club got £3 and the steward got £9, so we made £900 for golf but we got 7 new memberships at £900 each so they justified selling them.

I've not got a problem with our club doing this offer but they must restrict it to certain days/times.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Where was the course Marshall...?

He came out twice and on each occasion had lengthy words, particularly with the 4-ball. To be fair to them, whilst they were slow they were perhaps only a little over 4-ball pace, although that should be balanced by the fact they were in buggies.

The 2-ball were the real headache. Once they had got ahead of the 4-ball every time I saw them on the back nine they were holding them up. That's not acceptable for a 2-ball full stop, but a 2-ball in a buggy? They had been on the course for nearly 4 1/2 hours when I left, and had a clear run from the 7th hole after they had let me through.

Not knowing a course is no excuse as we have very few blind shots - what you see before you is what you get. And the course is not yet starting to show its teeth. If this lot came in July when the 2nd cut is knee high we would be out there for hours.

If Groupon encourage ignorant, rude "golfers" out onto the course then, from what I have seen, any revenue generated by a club will be more than offset by full paying visitors going elsewhere to avoid them.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, having dropped on a Groupon deal for Turnberry 2 weekends ago i'm feeling pretty happy about them. The deal was £125 for 2 rounds on the Kintyre and a nights b&b in the Turberry hotel. We upgraded one of the rounds to the Ailsa for £50 ea pp , so it was a great deal. I've been meaning to write a review but have not got round to it yet

I agree with Stu C though, if a club does go down the Groupon route to get additional revenue then they must manage the bookings and limit the time slots. You cant blame clubs for doing this though , a lot of clubs are struggling financially !!

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our club sold 300 of these and we did struggle at times although not as bad as you've described.

We sold a toastie 18 holes and a 2 course meal for £24. Groupon took £12 club got £3 and the steward got £9, so we made £900 for golf but we got 7 new memberships at £900 each so they justified selling them.

I've not got a problem with our club doing this offer but they must restrict it to certain days/times.

what course do you play Stuart?

I played woolton with a groupon deal a few weeks ago.

D

Deleted member 1740

I'm at lee park mate.

Where do you play?

DCB

Visit site
Ah... Groupon.... another supturating sore to afflict golf clubs. Possibly even cheaper than two for one vouchers ;)

D

Deleted member 1740

Ah... Groupon.... another supturating sore to afflict golf clubs. Possibly even cheaper than two for one vouchers ;)

I agree with you totally but when we get 7 new members then the manager can justify it.

Like i said previously it's gotta be on our clubs terms and not just a free for all.

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I'm not a member of anywhere. I play a diiferent place every week. I play allerton a lot in the summer evenings as I live not far from it.

I'm at lee park mate.

Where do you play?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not Groupon but my club had a deal with a similar outfit last year. It has not been repeated this.

The major problem was not with the players, and yes some were slow, some 'under developed' as golfers. The problem was with the company.

When this started your club would allocate a number of tee times, say between 12.00 and 2.00, which the company could then sell. Fine if they stick to those times but they didn't and more than once quite big groups would turn up saying they were booked in from 9.00 or 10.00 - leaves the club with a real mess to sort out.