Grooves Question

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are supposed to keep them clean and sharpened, but those sharpeners that are available might change how they (the grooves) are on your clubs, how do you keep them sharp? Oh and by sharp I not sure if I mean sharp but as new.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I just use a broken tee to clean them.

I don't see how you can keep them sharp, especially as they are not sharp in the first place.

D

Deleted member 21258

Do cast clubs grooves actually wear much ? Wouldn't have thought so but could be wrong:oops:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think sharpening grooves is a bit risky as if you sharpen them too much they may become non-conforming? Anyway, I've never sharpened mine, I just clean them once every six months whether they need it or not. :p

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Grooves do blunt over time especially if you hit lots of balls in sandy/gritty soil without cleaning your club regularly, this is how you get browning of the faces. Just keep them clean. A wedge can last any length of time depending on how many balls you hit with it, if you dont practice with a wedge much its unlikely to wear out very quickly

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do cast clubs grooves actually wear much ? Wouldn't have thought so but could be wrong:oops:

I would agree hard cast clubs really do not wear much so just need to be kept clean. Soft cast as Vokey wedges wear a bit more.

If you use a groove sharpener you are also removing the heat treated/hardened section that some forged clubs may have.