Groove Cleaning.. best tool (for man size hands)

V

vkurup

My wedges are about an year old and could do with some cleaning/sharpening. I had a look online at some of the sharpening ones.

1) Are they any good, any experience of using them. Any specific one that people can recommend. I was looking at this one on Amazon(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002CYDZHM)
2) The plastic handles on them look very tiny, and I am not sure if my hands will be able to hold them. I guess I have to do them for a wee while before I can get nipper trained on such tricks.
3) Are these only for wedges or can they also be used for irons? My 5i - 9i also seem a bit 'flattened'

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You need to be careful using tbese tools.
Even though the "new" groove rule won't come into force for us until at least 2024 there are still limits as to how deep/wide grooves can be.
Can you be sure that when you remove some metal from your wedges that you don't infringe those rules..?
To my mind, if grooves are wearing that thin then it's time to replace the club..

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
just get a smallish brass wire brush from B&Q or similar, by far the most efficient tool for cleaning out the groves quickly without modifying the grove profiles.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use an old toothbrush, my grooves are always spotless. Just use some warm water and a bit fairy with Milton in, and give them a wee scrub.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On the course I use a tee to clean them. When I clean my clubs I give them a scrub with an old nailbrush that gets the muck out.

Regarding the recutting, I think this s a waste of time, there is too much hype placed on what grooves can achieve.

Grooves do not produce spin, they wick away moisture like the grooves of a car tyre. Just like racing cars you get more grip when using slicks in dry conditions, or a golf club with a slightly roughened surface texture. When there is water or grass between the ball and the clubface then grooves get the moisture to dissipate so the ball has a surface texture it can adhere to. Forget the concept of the groove edges gripping the ball to create spin.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
quick scrub with warm water will do. i would say the grooves are fine. some pros only change their wedges twice a year and they hammer them every day.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I asked a similar question a while back now and thought they looked good, Until It was pointed out that some of these sharpeners can make your club illegal, ie make the grooves non conforming.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
On the course I use a tee to clean them. When I clean my clubs I give them a scrub with an old nailbrush that gets the muck out.

Regarding the recutting, I think this s a waste of time, there is too much hype placed on what grooves can achieve.

Grooves do not produce spin, they wick away moisture like the grooves of a car tyre. Just like racing cars you get more grip when using slicks in dry conditions, or a golf club with a slightly roughened surface texture. When there is water or grass between the ball and the clubface then grooves get the moisture to dissipate so the ball has a surface texture it can adhere to. Forget the concept of the groove edges gripping the ball to create spin.

quick scrub with warm water will do. i would say the grooves are fine. some pros only change their wedges twice a year and they hammer them every day.

Absolutely agree with the above comments! Just washing the junk out of them should be sufficient.

Groove sharpeners are a bit fiddly and when I used one on a couple of my wedges it beat my fingers up quite a bit. They do not, however, risk making grooves illegal, if used properly - or probably even if used improperly - according to the suppliers, who have had them tested by appropriate bodies.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So what is it that cuts the cover of the ball ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So what is it that cuts the cover of the ball ?

Indeed, the sharp edges of the grooves cut the cover.

But that is not what provides the spin.

Very near identical spin can be obtained from an absolutely flat clubface - from the fairway. Spin produced is mainly determined by the loft of the club, for any given ball. The purpose of the grooves is to clear out water and other junk and provide a predictable amount of spin. It was the unpredictability of the spin, therefore result of shot, that the R&A/USGA re-introduced with the changes to groove regulations.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
At only a year old I would find it hard to believe that the grooves had been flattened or blunted sufficiently enough to notice. Especially on a cast club.
If they are then I would wonder whaf you have been hitting.

Maybe if they are really dirty they look a bit flat. Short soak in warm water to soften the dirt and then scrub with a soft brush. Personally wouldnt use a wire brush as there is no need if you soften the dirt first, no risk of scoring or scratching either.