Grips

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Be careful if you fit them yourslef, they can stretch and twist when you slide them on.
Check each one against the first one to ensure they're all the same length.
Only problem is if your first one is wrong you're in trouble :)
Good luck

I always put a bit of masking tape (and mark the center line) about 1mm above the old grip round the shaft, before removing the old grip. This gives an easy visual reference where the new one goes. Can't go wrong. :D

Great shout thanks Mark.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can't see any real benefit in having different grips on irons and wedges. I'd want all clubs to feel the same.

I've got a mixture on mine that are going to be standardised at some point. I find the Golf Pride Multi-compound to be good and will be getting all other clubs gripped with these over the winter.

And if I can re-grip a club - anyone can!!

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought the Golf Pride multi compound were supposed to give different levels of feel depending on where you grip them...?

From The Golf Pride website

The MultiCompound boasts Golf Pride's exclusive black Velvet Cord in the upper hand area for firm all-weather control, and a soft rubber material in the lower hand for ultimate control and responsiveness.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
on a related issue.
I got talking to one of the pros at woburn last weekend (Irish guy named Eddie - don't know his surname, nice friendly bloke). He was in getting a wedge bent and I was considering having a 60 delofted to 58 (apparently better to go that way than up from 56) - (I did).

He said that your wedge grips should be the thinnest you can get away with, ie not common through the set - comments please.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There might be something in that. The grips on my CG15's seem much thinner than the multi-compound's on my irons and the Tour Velvets on my long clubs.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I must admit, I don't get it.

Why do your own ?

I'm assuming most people do it once every year, or maybe even every two years.

You can buy Golf Pride grips for £3-£6 and they cost £8-£10 to get done by a pro. So the actual cost of the work is about £65 for the whole set ( unless pros give discount for doing the whole lot ?? ), also less any extra stuff/ kit you need to do the job.

I could fit in at least an extra 9 holes, if not a full round in the time it would take me to do the job.

With several hundred of pounds worth of clubs, is it worth messing around with all that extra effort.

Also I'm pretty sure that I'd make up a fair slice of that £65 with extra discount/free advice from building a good relationship with my pro.

So, shoot me down :p

Or am I right :D

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I must admit, I don't get it.

Why do your own ?

I'm assuming most people do it once every year, or maybe even every two years.

You can buy Golf Pride grips for £3-£6 and they cost £8-£10 to get done by a pro. So the actual cost of the work is about £65 for the whole set ( unless pros give discount for doing the whole lot ?? ), also less any extra stuff/ kit you need to do the job.

I could fit in at least an extra 9 holes, if not a full round in the time it would take me to do the job.

With several hundred of pounds worth of clubs, is it worth messing around with all that extra effort.

Also I'm pretty sure that I'd make up a fair slice of that £65 with extra discount/free advice from building a good relationship with my pro.

So, shoot me down :p

Or am I right :D

I don't do it for the money saving. I do it for the satisfaction, and to know the jobs been done right.

;) :p

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
on a related issue.
I got talking to one of the pros at woburn last weekend (Irish guy named Eddie - don't know his surname, nice friendly bloke). He said that your wedge grips should be the thinnest you can get away with, ie not common through the set - comments please.

Hi viscount, this is kind of what I was thinking, thinner/more responsive grips for more feel on my wedge shots. Just wondered if anyone else did it. Maybe I should get the same grips throughout the set but put less tape on my wedges.

Clive I'm doing it for fun, as sad as that sounds. I used to enjoy knocking my cricket bat in as well. :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I'd have uniformed size grips and tape throughout. Nothing worse than holding a club that doesn't quite feel the same. Not good for concentrating over the shop from my experience. I can see where CrapHacker is coming from and there are times when I've given it to the pro to do. However knowing how to do it myself I find it doesn't take that long to do and as Twire says there is a huge feeling of satisfaction about doing them.

That said I've got £60 in vouchers to use. I don't need anymore golf clothing or balls and so I think I'll put it towards getting the irons redone in a few months time