Gripping in the palm

AllyLodge

Head Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson few weeks ago and the main problem is that I grip in the palm of my hands and not enough in the fingers, which leads to an awful slice. I have tried to resolve this with multiple range sessions, but nothing has really changed.

I doubt there will be any, but are there any drills to try and make it so I grip it permanently in the fingers? :rolleyes:

-Ally

Ps: if all goes well and I get back on track, I will upload a video of my swing for you all to ogle over ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
maybe worth you getting a separate club fitted with a moulded grip and hitting balls with that to try and promote holding it in the fingers (its not possible to grip those in the palm)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had the same issue when i fisrt started.....
It will feel a little weird but get that grip in the fingers and it will have a big bearing on your shot shape and the power you hit the ball with...It also free's up the wrists....I hold my clubs now very much in the fingers and i find it very strange to grip in the palm...

I stand corrected here but i think that for control its best grip in the palm...But if you want power get it into the fingers...

Imagine throwing a golf ball with it in the palm of your hand....How far do you reckon you could throw it....Probably not very far....
Now this time hold it in just your fingers and see what happens......And feel the difference in the freedom of movement that your wrists have.....

I think that what your pro is getting you to do is activate your wrists which will help you turn your hands over through impact and at best rid you of your slice eventually....At worst what it will do is minimise your slice into a nice controllable soft fade.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
there are a few vids on youtube about this, not sure which one worked for me, will have a google, my pro also helped and RickG gave me some great pointers regarding strong/weak grip

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have the club in your left hand like you are holding a carrier bag. Hold it in your right hand like you hold an umbrella. Sorted.