Gripping down pitching

dandpl

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all

I am working on pitching distances from 40metres out using full, 9 oclock swing and 7.30 swings with a normal grip.

Say I pitch a wedge 50metres with a normal grip and 9 o clock swing what should I expect by gripping half way down? 5 metres less?

Is there a correlation to this as a system.

I am getting good distances but it takes a lot of time as in effect you have some 9 swings with each club full, half, quarter, with normal grip middle grip and low grip.

Any thought and advice welcome.

dandpl

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I would argue that gripping down is more about control/consistency as it is about length. By gripping down you can accelerate more and commit to the shot... less chance of quitting on the shot and duffing it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

don't..... :)

find the 'half' or '3/4' or whatever your preferred swing thought is to maintain tempo and use this with different clubs to get different distances instead.

I agree with JustOne; gripping down should be a confidence tweak when you want to ensure a positive swing/stroke rather than a distance factor in it's own right.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont like this clock face method of pitching. IMO the amount of wrist hinge and loft is a better way of setting carry distance.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree feel, speed and choice of wedge for different distances

I do not like the clock idea at all, causes deceleration when i try it !

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all

I am working on pitching distances from 40metres out using full, 9 oclock swing and 7.30 swings with a normal grip.

Say I pitch a wedge 50metres with a normal grip and 9 o clock swing what should I expect by gripping half way down? 5 metres less?

Is there a correlation to this as a system.

I am getting good distances but it takes a lot of time as in effect you have some 9 swings with each club full, half, quarter, with normal grip middle grip and low grip.

dandpl

I would suggest you hold your club half way down the grip and just learn 3 yardages per club.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would suggest you hold your club half way down the grip and just learn 3 yardages per club.

I agree with this ^.

I've done the same, except I don't like the 7.30 one as it feels too rushed. My 3 swings are full, arms shoulder height (10) and arms waist height (9).

If I need 5 yds less or more than that I vary my grip on the club, but I'm not sure it has any effect other than to convince me I have the right club and swing for the shot.