grip..

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
what grip do you use? and is there a benafit to each one over another?

i use the baseball grip but turn my left hand over quite a bit, as was a tip i was given ages ago to try and stop my slice (and it did help alot on driving). Ive noticed better players tend to interlock etc...
im not setting the world alight off 27.2 but im aiming to get low or even sub 20s this season. So apart from the obvious of a golf lesson is my grip a good place to look at as something that may need changing. Tryin to watch the pennies a touch so looking to see what i can do myself before forking out.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use the interlocking grip. As i have small hands and find it the easiest for me. You want a grip that returns the club face square at impact. Other than that just use what is best for you.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
interlock, also have used the overlap to great effect. Chipping I have had really good results with the baseball grip lately... they all work just use what works for you

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The baseball grip is very poular with beginners,most likely because it feels comfortable and dare i say natural.Problem with the baseball grip is it lowers the right shoulder (if your right handed) which in turn creates other problems within the swing.Having said all of this Ronan Rafferty played with a baseball grip,and i know of at least 2 people at my last club who manged to play to single figures using the baseball grip.
I use the Vardon grip (overlapping) and to be honest it feels very comfortable and natural,but felt very awkward and uncomfortable when i first took up the game.
Give it a go,i'm sure after a few sessions it will become second nature.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i use the baseball grip as i wasnt shown how to hold the club when i was a kid when i first started hitting a small white ball. didnt play regularly til 3years ago. by this stage i couldnt get used to the varden or overlap so i stuck at the baseball. i have had 1 lesson in my time and that was purely on the grip as most of you will know, this is the usual 1st lesson.what a took out of it was the importance of a strong grip ie. more knuckles left hand, to avoid slicing. with practice which is still on-going, i can now work the ball, right to left which i think would b impossible without knowing how the grip will affect the shot! currently playin off 11.5 and will be aiming for single figures this season! it can be done

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
I use the interlocking grip for everything now. Used to try silly things with the putter, but I am happier back to this grip with the plat stick as well!!

T

thecraw

Another hillbilly baseball gripper here. I got as low as 4 using it, now up to 6 but that's my fault not the grip.

I'm a huge advocate of grip it how it feels natural and comfortable!

theknife

Hacker
Visit site
overlap....used interlocking as a kid but overlap feels a lot more stable.....interlocking seems to cause me too much wrist cock at the top of the backswing

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use the interlocking grip on everything except the putter.

Experemented with other grips, but I kept coming back to the interlocking grip.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Overlapping/Vardon grip here. That just seemed to be how most of us were taught in my junior days.

There are a lot more interlocking grips around these days, I'd say. Might be the Tiger effect.

You can play well with any grip really... where your hands are pointing relative to the target is more significant than how the hands are joined, or not as the case may be.

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
well no point changing my grip then as it seems it doesnt hamper much going on what others have said. I just wasnt sure if it changed the swing or club release etc. Think im going to really start looking at my setup next and now after some better news from work today look into a lesson