Greetings from another novice

addyb

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah the same video was linked at the bottom of the first page. It's a good review and does really make me think something like that maybe better for my non experience and budget. I mean roughly speaking if I'm going the pre owned route we are talking around £250 for clubs before I've even added a bag depending on what I buy.

Anyway for now I'll just have my lesson tomorrow and ask the pro his opinion. I'll just be happy to hit the driving range for now and try and get the ball where I want it to go lol.

addyb

Hacker
Visit site
Well I'm back unscathed from my first lesson. I absolutely loved it. Got shown the grip, posture and swing fundamentals and then just used a 7 iron to hit some balls. The pro was quite impressed with my early efforts considering I've never played. Quite a few of my shots were veering left a bit so he kept making adjustments. I still hit more bad then good but overall I was extremely happy with my swing and success rate for my first hour.

On leaving he just told me to buy myself a glove, 3 wood and 7 iron and come back on the range a few times and practice what I'd learnt and then book another lesson with him.

So guys I need some advice on a decent 3 wood and 7 iron to kick things off with. I will get a putter next month but for now I just want to get these two.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You won't go far wrong with 'Callaways' XR or X2hot 3-woods and one of their 'X series' irons, I'd go for regular flex to start with, are you of standard build, not excessively short or stupendously tall ?...

Average build of say 5'9-5'10, normal length arms and sorta 13/14/15st then standard length/lie/reg flex should be about right...

Only time that falls flat on its face is when 'like me' yer a bit too strong, I'm 5'9" and around 14.5st but I've got arms like a silverback and me knuckles drag on the ground so regular flex shafts are a bit like spaghetti in my hands...

addyb

Hacker
Visit site
You won't go far wrong with 'Callaways' XR or X2hot 3-woods and one of their 'X series' irons, I'd go for regular flex to start with, are you of standard build, not excessively short or stupendously tall ?...

Average build of say 5'9-5'10, normal length arms and sorta 13/14/15st then standard length/lie/reg flex should be about right...

Only time that falls flat on its face is when 'like me' yer a bit too strong, I'm 5'9" and around 14.5st but I've got arms like a silverback and me knuckles drag on the ground so regular flex shafts are a bit like spaghetti in my hands...

I'm about 5'11" and nearly 16 stone but actually look lighter. I do weights at the gym but I'm not a heavy handed meat head lol.
What kind of price range should I be looking at for these clubs. I'm just conscience of getting a decent deal.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yeah that'll do nicely... :thup:

I think from memory they're about 80 quid an iron so roughly half price and at that price I'd be tempted to get a 9 as well, all you'd need then is a couple of wedges, a putter, 3-wood and a hybrid or 2 and yer just about there as a starter set...

I use my 3-wood, 22* hybrid, 8i, pitching wedge, 56 and 60* wedges the most and the putter obviously the rest is just dead weight to be honest...

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the mad house, you're definitely doing the right thing getting lessons right from the start. But hold fire on buying any clubs, wait till you get to grips with things. Then your pro will advise you what you need, and may even have some 2nd hand clubs in stock that will do the job. best of luck :thup::fore:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Welcome along!

To be honest, at this stage I wouldn't even be thinking about buying any clubs. All you need right now is a 7 iron which you can use at the range to groove your swing and work on the things the pro tells you to. It may be that you decide golf isn't the game for you and it turns out to be wasted money. You can pick up single irons on well known auction sites for a pittance, do that and spend money on lessons instead. If after a few weeks you decide you like it then talk to your pro about some beginners clubs, he will be able to advise you. He may even have some suitable 2nd hand stuff in his shop! Worrying about bag setup at this stage is a bit premature.

Good luck and hope you enjoy it :)

addyb

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks again for all the replies. Much appreciated. Looking forward to heading back to the range next week and practicing some more before another lesson :)

addyb

Hacker
Visit site
I headed to the range tonight for my first solo practice since my lesson. Pretty pleased with how it went really. I think I remembered all I was taught last week and was striking the ball pretty well for the most part. 50 balls and I think I only topped 3. I had decent loft and distance on most of them. My only real complaint was accuracy. Only a few were spot on straight but again it's something to work towards. I'm more pleased I seem to be getting the basic swing motion down and not straying away from it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I headed to the range tonight for my first solo practice since my lesson. Pretty pleased with how it went really. I think I remembered all I was taught last week and was striking the ball pretty well for the most part. 50 balls and I think I only topped 3. I had decent loft and distance on most of them. My only real complaint was accuracy. Only a few were spot on straight but again it's something to work towards. I'm more pleased I seem to be getting the basic swing motion down and not straying away from it.

I would focus more on dispersion, so your misses left and right rather than distance. Not too much danger if you keep it straight regularly on most holes. Keep working at it and keep enjoying the process of getting better