Greensomes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Foursomes and greensomes are pairs formats, Texas scramble is 2-4 players in the same team.

Foursomes - alternate player plays each shot in turn (unless specific penalties are applied) until the ball is in the hole. ie player A drives and the next player hits the next shot and so on until the ball is in the hole. At the next hole player B drives

Greensomes - each player hits a drive one ball is selected and players hit each shot in turn from that point.

Texas scramble comes in various versions but essentially every player tees off, one ball is selected and everybody then plays their own ball from that spot until one ball is in the hole.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really like greensomes, its a bit of fun for a change, we only play it once a year at our place, unless you play the summer knockouts comp.
Also really like foursomes, one of the best team comps over here for me is Jimmy Bruen which is an all Ireland comp and foursomes format, cracking stuff!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree with the OP! Can't stand greensomes and actively avoid it. I look forward to my round from Monday morning and I can't stand the prospect of only playing 9 holes! Sometimes from a less than desirable place on the course! 🙈

Yep although at least with greensomes there's a chance you opponent will save the day and get one in play. It's when they smash one long and straight and you then stick it in a hazard or chunk one that tests partnerships. Most need a Mickleson or Seve like power of recovery for the places I can go if I miss a green. Basically my own game is not consistent enough to help formulate a successful pairing and a dislike of the formats only exacerbates that

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I haven’t played greensomes for years but I like to play 4’somes. Have had some success at club level having reached the annual KO final three times (only won once though). Also had some good wins against county players during inter club scratch KO matches. It really makes you concentrate as you don’t want to let your playing partner and team mates down.