Greensomes.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I played greensomes a couple of weeks ago and the golf was good and the company was good but I won’t be in a hurry to sign up for another round. What I didn’t get is the fact that you are basically only playing 9 holes but still out on the course for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Does anyone else think this or am I missing something. I can’t really see any advantage to it ie it’s not a quick game and at least with other formats like Texas scramble and betterball you get to play a full game.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a greensomes comp this weekend (though the weather forecast looks like it might have something to say about that).

I quite like it for a change. It's faster than 4bbb and you get a bit more golf than foursomes but retaining the intrigue that comes with the different partnership dynamics.

Anything that makes you think differently about a round of golf and the shots you play is a good thing, albeit in moderation. A couple a year is fine for me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no reason why it shouldn't be much quicker than a normal round, after all you are only both driving the rest is alternate. We have a couple of matches where we play this format. don't mind it now and again

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought just like you. Played it once at an old club.
Thought it was a terrible waste of a weekend morning.
If there was a team game on, I’d usually pay a green fee and visit somewhere else.

Wouldn’t play it again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't play things like that because I pay for each round I play at my club. So I wouldn't to pay full price for a round and hit half the number of shots. I did enter a pairs betterball scramble once though, since you still play a full number of shots then, just from slightly more favourable positions.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played greensomes a couple of weeks ago and the golf was good and the company was good but I won’t be in a hurry to sign up for another round. What I didn’t get is the fact that you are basically only playing 9 holes but still out on the course for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
Does anyone else think this or am I missing something. I can’t really see any advantage to it ie it’s not a quick game and at least with other formats like Texas scramble and betterball you get to play a full game.

You are missing something - it's a fine format though not one that I'd want to play that often when golf opportunities are limited (that's work for you) - but if I had unlimited golf :)

I find that most if not all formats teach me and enable me to learn something about my own game and how to manage it. When playing foursomes or greensomes I learn the importance of focussing on my own shots and not thinking about the last or the next shot. When playing mixed foursomes and especially mixed greensomes I learn the huge potential benefit to my scoring of hitting the fairway regularly - and that distance is not the be all and end all.

Have a favourite - but embrace all formats and learn from them.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Guess you aren't a fan of foursomes then?

Greensomes has the potential to be the second quickest format; but as with all formats you generally move at the pace of the slowest players eventually.

Then again what's the rush?

The great thing is that you can choose the club you want to play at that plays the formats you want, when you want. No one forces you to even play at all!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have a favourite - but embrace all formats and learn from them.

This!

It's not a quick game - like foursomes can certainly be (if played correctly!) - nor is it one where you come off and feel you had a really good (or bad!) round. But it does provide some challenges from the 'teamwork' element involved that can help your singles game. After the drive, I tend to play rather more conservatively/less risky than I otherwise would.

But don't apologise when you provide you partner with a 'challenging' shot! (S)he will almost certainly return the 'favour' at some time during the round!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Greensomes has the potential to be the second quickest format; but as with all formats you generally move at the pace of the slowest players eventually.

The great thing is that you can choose the club you want to play at that plays the formats you want, when you want. No one forces you to even play at all!

In foursomes and greensomes I enjoy walking with my partner as one rather than as a pair - discussing the shot to be played if that is what I or my partner wants to do - but knowing that we need not discuss, and knowing and sharing that there is no fault in a mistake made or that might next be made - as we are one...:)

So when I play either of these pairs single ball formats I do not feel that I am only playing half a round - most certainly I don't feel I am only playing 9 holes - as a foursomes/greensomes pair I am playing every shot of 18 holes as if one.

D

Deleted Member 1156

In foursomes and greensomes I enjoy walking with my partner as one rather than as a pair - discussing the shot to be played if that is what I or my partner wants to do - but knowing that we need not discuss, and knowing and sharing that there is no fault in a mistake made or that might next be made - as we are one...:)

So when I play either of these pairs single ball formats I do not feel that I am only playing half a round - most certainly I don't feel I am only playing 9 holes - as a foursomes/greensomes pair I am playing every shot of 18 holes as if one.

Do you feel the same if your partner is a Brexiteer? :D

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think it's a great format,my partner of many years is also a great pal,we know each others game well and enjoy the strategy and competitive edge as much as the banter with a pal.3-4 hrs wandering around the course actively involved in things...what's not to like?

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site

To be perfectly honest i didn’t know I was playing this until the first tee! I just stick my name down for most comps on a weekend and play whatever it is.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To be perfectly honest i didn’t know I was playing this until the first tee! I just stick my name down for most comps on a weekend and play whatever it is.

Ah - so you have only played greensomes this first time. Now that explains your bafflement :)

And I'm guessing you likewise haven't played foursomes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to use the format for evening team matches as it is supposed to be quicker and it is a format used in a lot of mixed Opens.

Personally if we are going for a slightly different format I prefer a 6-6-6, 6 better ball 6 greensomes and 6 foursomes

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Agree with the OP! Can't stand greensomes and actively avoid it. I look forward to my round from Monday morning and I can't stand the prospect of only playing 9 holes! Sometimes from a less than desirable place on the course! 🙈