Greensomes Question

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apologies if this has been asked before. I am shortly due to play in a parent/child greensomes with my son. Given that he is rather good and I am rustier than a 30 year old Alfa Romeo, I am bound to put him in the clag more than once.

The question is, if my shot is so bad that we elect to take relief under penalty, does that count as his shot and is it therefore my turn to duff it again?

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No, you just add the penalty and carry on with him hitting the next shot. I wish you luck, my son is 30 now and I never get enough golf with him!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Didn't know there were any Alfa's that age left.... ;) No, it doesn't. He'd play his shot as normal.

Plenty still around from before that period (2000 GTV still suits my eye!) but early 80s was not a happy period! Happened to other manufacturers - from all countries - too. Coatings/processes weren't up to the requirements for a few years!

Though things falling off or stopping working was part of Alfa's 'charm'!

gryffindor

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Actually I have a 1987 Alfa Spider that passed it's MOT again last week. Engine still works like a dream but yes, you do need to glue a few things back on every now and again! However, by the time it is 30 I think I will be pushing my luck!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a greensomes question too.

What's the penalty for playing out of turn? I played my first ever greensomes match in our Winter League in Feb and, after playing the 2nd, we realised we'd played out of turn on the 1st, so conceded the hole. (We had halved the 1st and won the 2nd, so went from 1up to A/S.)

Was that the right course of action? Our opponents seemed quite happy with it but I just wanted to check.

FWIW, we lost the tie on the 5th extra hole. If we hadn't cocked up the 1st, we would have won!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread but I've got a greensomes question too.

What's the penalty for playing out of turn? I played my first ever greensomes match in our Winter League in Feb and, after playing the 2nd, we realised we'd played out of turn on the 1st, so conceded the hole. (We had halved the 1st and won the 2nd, so went from 1up to A/S.)

Was that the right course of action? Our opponents seemed quite happy with it but I just wanted to check.

FWIW, we lost the tie on the 5th extra hole. If we hadn't cocked up the 1st, we would have won!

interesting one!

on the basis that your opponents observed your play of the 1st, including whatever incident occured to result in you playing out of turn, once anyone had teed off on the 2nd it was to late to make any claim in respect of the 1st - or to subsequently conceed it.

so, strictly, the result for the 1st should have stood.

however, you eventually conceeded the match and the opponents names went up on the board so it's now history :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
interesting one!

on the basis that your opponents observed your play of the 1st, including whatever incident occured to result in you playing out of turn, once anyone had teed off on the 2nd it was to late to make any claim in respect of the 1st - or to subsequently conceed it.

however, you eventually conceeded the match and the opponents names went up on the board so it's now history :)

On the basis that you can overlook a rule infringement in matchplay?

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
interesting one!

Thanks Duncan

As we were walking off the 1st tee, my partner and I were discussing that neither of us had played greensomes before and didn't know who played which ball etc. (we thought the Winter League was 4BBB). We decided to watch our opponents and copy them. Unfortunately for us, they both hit drives to within a couple of feet of one another, so we didn't know who had picked up and therefore whose ball they were playing. It was only on the 2nd, when they were in completely different places, that we realised that the partner played the 2nd shot from the other guy's tee shot (if I'm explaining that clearly). On the 1st, we picked up my drive and my partner played the 2nd shot with his own ball.

So it looks like we needlessly conceded a hole. Ah well, doesn't matter, my partner his since knackered his knee and can't play, so I'd have had to forfeit any further matches anyway.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
And the next Greensomes question :)

From the 2nd tee, what is the order of play? Is it both players from the pair that had the better score or is it alternate?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the basis that you can overlook a rule infringement in matchplay?

basically that, combined with the need to draw a line under the past in a match ie it wouldn't be reasonable for a player to be on the 16th all square and his opponent then decide to tell him he's claiming the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th because of x,y etc

however, as now explained, I would suggest that there were facts that the opponents were not aware off (as explained by mcbroon they were watching closely and they didn't see who played what!) and as such a valid claim could be made when those facts were made known (and the cut off moves to the next tee after that).

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Actually I have a 1987 Alfa Spider that passed it's MOT again last week. Engine still works like a dream but yes, you do need to glue a few things back on every now and again! However, by the time it is 30 I think I will be pushing my luck!

My 1998 Alfa 156 doesn't have any rust on it. Only thing that doesn't work on it is the air conditioning, but who needs that in this country ? Leather seats, wooden steering wheel, cassette/radio, lovely jubbly.