Great winter courses within 100 miles of the midlands

MentallyOverPar

Visit site
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests really - I am looking at great courses to play close(ish) to the Midlands for December. I am a freelance consultant and will be off from the beginning of December until the beginning of Jan and want to get as much golf in as I can. I go away on a few golf holidays a year and have a couple booked up for the summer months so don't want to drop on the missus toes that I will be flying off to Portugal leaving her to look after the kids so it will involve me driving to the courses with the odd overnighter if needed.

I am definitely going to get in a round at Burnham and Berrow as that is the closest links course and I live 2 miles from the Belfry so will probably play a few times there purely because its kept in good nick. I also hear Beau Desert is a decent dry course so will head there for a round.

Any suggestions welcome but as long as the weather isn't horrendous (as in closing courses up and down the country) my main requirement is a decent course that holds up well in the winter.

Thanks in advance!

Hitdaball

Visit site
Bookmarking as I need to arrange a leaving party golf weekend in December for a colleague somewhere in the midlands.

Edit- Beau is lovely , my club has a reciprocal there but have only played in summer so couldn’t comment on winter. Should drain fairly well I’d say though.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys,

As the title suggests really - I am looking at great courses to play close(ish) to the Midlands for December. I am a freelance consultant and will be off from the beginning of December until the beginning of Jan and want to get as much golf in as I can. I go away on a few golf holidays a year and have a couple booked up for the summer months so don't want to drop on the missus toes that I will be flying off to Portugal leaving her to look after the kids so it will involve me driving to the courses with the odd overnighter if needed.

I am definitely going to get in a round at Burnham and Berrow as that is the closest links course and I live 2 miles from the Belfry so will probably play a few times there purely because its kept in good nick. I also hear Beau Desert is a decent dry course so will head there for a round.

Any suggestions welcome but as long as the weather isn't horrendous (as in closing courses up and down the country) my main requirement is a decent course that holds up well in the winter.

Thanks in advance!
Notts & Sherwood Forest both Drain well

D

Deleted member 1147

One near Derby, the Moorland course at Breadsall Priory, isn’t a great course but is renowned for being playable all year round

D

Deleted member 21258

In addition to the above healthland courses in the midlands, at 100 miles, depending were in the midlands you are, you maybe able to the mid and north Welsh links courses(these are all under 75 miles).

Like Royals St Davids, Aberdovey, Conwy, North Wales etc

Also under 100 miles are the links courses on the NW coast, depending on budget maybe a choice.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Frilford Heath (Oxford)
3 courses, all drain well, decent winter package deals and plenty of hotels within a few miles.
Around 80 miles from the NEC

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Mind me chipping in with a related question, is Sherwood Forest any good over winter. Seen it’s a top 100 course so considering it as a gift (£50 spend) to use end of March. Otherwise it may be somewhere like frilford mentioned above given we’re just east of Birmingham

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mind me chipping in with a related question, is Sherwood Forest any good over winter. Seen it’s a top 100 course so considering it as a gift (£50 spend) to use end of March. Otherwise it may be somewhere like frilford mentioned above given we’re just east of Birmingham

Yes sherwoods nice and in winter shoes come off cleaner than when u start.

For the op as covered
Whittington before it gets hs2'd, Sherwood, holinwell(notts), maybe coxmoor.
U r closer to mid wales links than east coast so aberdovey and harlech (royal st davids) further north in wales conwy.
Not sure whats birmingham way maybe sandwell, patshull or Mosley.
South Yorkshire lindrick maybe.

D

Deleted member 18588

In addition to the above healthland courses in the midlands, at 100 miles, depending were in the midlands you are, you maybe able to the mid and north Welsh links courses(these are all under 75 miles).

Like Royals St Davids, Aberdovey, Conwy, North Wales etc

Also under 100 miles are the links courses on the NW coast, depending on budget maybe a choice.[/QUOTE

As the OP lives only a couple of miles from The Belfry I can assure you that there are no links courses within 100 miles of him.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coxmoor do a cracking winter deal with a sumptuous steak and ale pie .
Patshull would be open but will be pretty wet.
Will report back on the Shropshire as playing there Wednesday .
If you fancy a knock at Shifnal I can sign you in .

D

Deleted member 18588

Not much around Birmingham as they're pretty much all on clay.

However, Sutton Coldfield is generally decent through the winter and Little Aston drains reasonably well.

Local to you as well is Whittington Heath.

Further afield I would be looking at Enville and Beau Desert.

If you fancy the trip then head to Mansfield with three terrific heathland courses in Hollinwell, Coxmoor and Sherwood Forest.

MentallyOverPar

Visit site
Not much around Birmingham as they're pretty much all on clay.

However, Sutton Coldfield is generally decent through the winter and Little Aston drains reasonably well.

Local to you as well is Whittington Heath.

Further afield I would be looking at Enville and Beau Desert.

If you fancy the trip then head to Mansfield with three terrific heathland courses in Hollinwell, Coxmoor and Sherwood Forest.

You've just reminded me to call in a round with a member here who has offered to go out!