Great Forum

Hoganman1

Visit site
I just found this forum about a month ago and I really like it. Having participated in many other golf related sites over the past few years, this one is different. All the other sites seem to have at least four or five jerks that post regularly. Whenever I post a question on other sites I usually get several attacks as well as useful answers. I'm wondering if it's because the other sites are based in the US. I don't know yet where this forum is based but I'm guessing it's in the UK. While most golfers treat their peers with respect, it seems to me that Europeans are far better stewards of the game than some of us Americans. I'm not meaning to create a controversy or to offend anyone. I'm just making an honest observation.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It does seem that most people who use this are UK based.

Just one of these things that builds up around a UK based publication.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just found this forum about a month ago and I really like it. Having participated in many other golf related sites over the past few years, this one is different. All the other sites seem to have at least four or five jerks that post regularly. Whenever I post a question on other sites I usually get several attacks as well as useful answers. I'm wondering if it's because the other sites are based in the US. I don't know yet where this forum is based but I'm guessing it's in the UK. While most golfers treat their peers with respect, it seems to me that Europeans are far better stewards of the game than some of us Americans. I'm not meaning to create a controversy or to offend anyone. I'm just making an honest observation.
Christ, we have a heck of a lot more than that! :LOL:

Glad you like it anyway. I've found it brilliant as well, lots of really helpful guys.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

give it time :)

the golf threads you dont tend to get it too much, stray into Out of Bounds to the football/politics type threads and you'll see a bit more of it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome aboard. There are a few on here who like to poke and prod, one recurring who appears under different names before being banned each time. You soon work out the planks though and just pass over their posts.

There are some common controversies golf wise, it will be interesting to see a state side view when they crop up again, as they inevitably will.

I find that any post that is thought out, can be backed up and is clearly not designed to antagonise stands up well, even if it is different to my own view. Part of the fun of forums is seeing different views and debating in a friendly fashion (y)

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like to think that there are few golfers I would not like to play with regularly and that seems to be similar for people that post on here.
You just have to look at the golf meets that are arranged through the forum to see that we get on quite well .

And long may it remain like that

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The forum is owned and run by Golf Monthly magazine and will not allow swearing, trolling etc etc and so it's bye and large a friendly, helpful place with lots of great guys. There are arguments from both ends of the spectrum on golf and a wide range of non golf topics. Given that the forum is run by GM, members here have often been selected by them for club fittings and many other treats and we, the members, often arrange meets across the UK where any forum member is welcome

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its the only golf thread I visit daily. No complaints at all as far as forums go (always idiots on every forum) and this one appears to be well managed. I would note as its a lot smaller than a few of the states ones there are some downsides as a result. Nothing to do with the people on here - its just a numbers issue. If I wanted feedback for example on a specific shaft then I would imagine I might get one or two here that have used such an item. On the larger forums you can get dozens if not hundreds.

I rarely use or read the larger ones unless I have such a query.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One thing I noticed, is that most US sites have zero tolerance of any politics or religion. Although I don't go too near the oob threads that fall into these categories, I'm pleased that freedom of expression actually exists over here...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Welcome aboard. There are a few on here who like to poke and prod, one recurring who appears under different names before being banned each time. You soon work out the planks though and just pass over their posts.

There are some common controversies golf wise, it will be interesting to see a state side view when they crop up again, as they inevitably will.

I find that any post that is thought out, can be backed up and is clearly not designed to antagonise stands up well, even if it is different to my own view. Part of the fun of forums is seeing different views and debating in a friendly fashion (y)
I never knew there was one plank that keeps getting booted off here. 😳 Is he also a City fan 😁

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Used to be miles better. Sometimes things change for the better, sometimes they get worse, sometimes people get heavy handed, sometimes others mellow. People come, people go. I guess its just a cycle. Overall its fairly well run. 6.5/10

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome .. mainly uk based with a Few of us Irish thrown in and 1 Italian i think
Few keyboard warriors well outshone by decent good people .

Enjoy the forum

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've played quite a lot of golf in America and like most places, you meet good and bad. Most of that golf has been on decentish resorts so that tends to narrow the sample of players, but i do remember playing Sawgrass in Feb/March with 2 New Yorkers who hadnt been on a course for 5 months or so who lost a ball or 2 each on nearly every hole.

Totting up the scores in the bar afterwards, one shot 77 and the other 81 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played quite a lot of golf in America and like most places, you meet good and bad. Most of that golf has been on decentish resorts so that tends to narrow the sample of players, but i do remember playing Sawgrass in Feb/March with 2 New Yorkers who hadnt been on a course for 5 months or so who lost a ball or 2 each on nearly every hole.

Totting up the scores in the bar afterwards, one shot 77 and the other 81 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I have heard the American tourists are quite generous with the mulligans.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have heard the American tourists are quite generous with the mulligans.
last time i caddied was for two Americans, one was a 4 handicap the other 8. both Ok ball strikers, but wayward to say the least. the 4 handicap couldn't putt and 3 putted at least half the greens and lost a couple of balls of the tee at least and had no birdies, i would say a score in the high 80's at least.

when he walked off he says to his mate i was 2 under gross, to which the 8 handicap says i played well too and was only a couple over.... he had lost a ball on most of the holes:ROFLMAO: