Great drill.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was looking for some ideas for club squaring drills after I started to get a bit too much tail fade/slice on the end of my shots. I found an interesting Leadbetter drill intended to improve wrist action and hopefully clubhead speed. It's basically a drill where you split the hands, stick a tee in the grip and make half swings concentrating on cocking and un-cocking the wrists keeping the tee pointed at the ground. I suspected it might help improve my rather lazy right hand through impact. It worked really well and gave me a few more yards.
If you tend to not get it quite square....give it a try....wonderful.

PS...has anyone any experience of the old Callaway hawk-eye vft fairways....there's one (a 5 wood) at the range for £40. i.i.r.c. it was titanium??

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Addressing the same issue but not in the same way, Have you tried the 3 ball drill?

This is desinged more for the in to out swing plane but it sure helps me turn the hands over and square the club up alot better!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't do the 3 ball drill a.t.m. but I have!

The issue is not one of cutting across the ball, since at the moment, I have a pick and mix of pulls and pushes. IF I felt that I was returning to the consistent out-in, I'd be on one of my 3 drills to promote the correct path like a crazed man.

The drill I mentioned is intended to get the hands working faster through impact.....and it really works.....I crushed some 7 irons off my super-low rubber tee that were rolling under the 175 board!!! Silly stuff.....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oooohh....I see this thread has bombed.....I guess there's nobody left out there who ever sliced a ball... :)

Sunday's 9 holes.....43......including 7 shots when I didn't get it square.
Today's 9 holes.....39.......including only 1 shot with tail-end slice.

Oh well.....I guess threads on shiny new kit are more exciting than hitting a straight ball 10 yards further.

:) :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dave,

I'm not sure why there isn't the interest. I worked out why my new swing wasn't quite right. I'm setting up taller to the ball and suppose to turn my left foot a tad to allow me to get my hips through (was getting the club trapped behind). However in doing this I wasn't paying attention to the shoulder line and as a result they were getting open (way open on occassions) and so I had the dreaded over the top action. Much more solid through impact now.

If we ever get a dry period after work and I can get down to the practice ground I'll give it a go. Not too keen on trying drills at a range as it tends to invite an audience and I become focussed on them rather than working on what I'm trying to do

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave I'm certainly interested but not at this moment as I am currently worrying more about not dipping my right shoulder on the downswing which is resulting in all sorts of problems. Did you find it on the web? If so a link would be great for future reference as I often struggle with a large slice with the woods.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes homer, I simply layed a club down on the ground today for my driving, and when I started to hit the back fence, all went quiet, the chaps either side of me decided to have a 'break' or set up slower and I could feel the eyes burning into my bay. Funny though cause whenever i looked up, they all look at the ceiling or something else, instead of just asking what I am doing.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Aha - reading this again I recognise this as part of the
swingsetter routine. (The dreaded implement has a pointy thing equivalent to your tee in the grip).
I'm sure it does work, but also gave me golfer's/tennis elbow! Still, may be worth a cautious try.

AliB

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ali and eagle....yes, it's a Leadbetter drill. There are half a dozen I come back to time and time again. I never got into the swingsetter....but as I learned from a pro that learned from a pro that learned from DL, I guess the style and language are my kind of thing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I do this drill, but without the tee peg (I have a vivid imagination). It is useful, as my hands tend to get a bit lazy, and leave the club out there rather than turning over. I tend to block it right though, not slice it.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
eagle, just (well recently) had a lesson on this and similiar (which by the way rguk is why I'm backing off anything else new atm)

I have right shoulder dip (and dropping right knee!). the word was slower backswing concentrating on keeping right arm straight and on top for as long as possible. The aim is to get the club into the right position with enough room to come through.
Put a tall tee on the target line a couple of feet behind the ball and another in front. On the backswing think in terms of brushing the tee, doesn't matter if you don't just that the clubhead stays out there.
(probably not explained that very well but that's the gist of it. Doubtless someone out there knows what I'm on about)

Split 7 out of 12 fairways last night, of the others 3 we're no more than a couple of yards off the fairway and playable (and one of those dead straight but short due to wind), the other two I hooked/pulled and one of those bounced back in.