(Push) Slice - need help.

Fabia999

Visit site
Hey,

I thought I hit a slice, Googled it and it looks like a push slice.

I have seen a pro and I am doing the drills he’s given me (baseball style drill) where I use my wrists more. This isn’t helping and I’m going to see him next week. This has only started since I bought a new driver, it’s also happening when I try to go back to my old one.

He explained that I am leaving the face open on impact and I’m out of ideas on how to fix it. A good golfer friend has told me to hood the club at address. This helped slightly hitting it straight but I couldn’t hardly get it off the floor.

I have hit it well, but it’s like 1/10. I had to take a 5W off the tee today and it wasn’t great, I need my driver back so can anybody please give me advice on how to fix this, I’m willing to give anything a try now.
Cheers all

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I'm no expert ? but I struggled with a slice when I started. The issue was the clubface at address. Was lining up with driver closed face (almost like angled slightly left - right handed golfer). Opened it up more, almost like it's pointing to my right, and I'm pretty accurate with it now

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had this, I’ve spent lockdown fixing it.

Pretty much the Chris Ryan drills on the takeaway.

You will fix it if you use your wrists more but you will make it worst if you use your wrists more wrongly.

I take the club back fine but my first move is a drop to the inside and when I try to fix that I push/slice it as I can’t keep the face square.

We may be coming to the same result in different ways so be careful.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a similar problem, the cause for me was fanning the club open in the back swing.

The solution for me was to feel like I kept the club face square throughout the swing, which for me was essentially keeping my wrists quiet all the way through (which feels shut at the top).

To hit a push slice, you must be opening the face. Dealing with the slice bit makes it a far less destructive shot (potentially a draw!), or worst case a push.

I’d start by swinging v slowly, and keeping a close eye on when the face opens.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Hey,

I have seen a pro and I am doing the drills he’s given me (baseball style drill) where I use my wrists more. This isn’t helping and I’m going to see him next week. This has only started since I bought a new driver, it’s also happening when I try to go back to my old one.

He explained that I am leaving the face open on impact and I’m out of ideas on how to fix it. A good golfer friend has told me to hood the club at address. This helped slightly hitting it straight but I couldn’t hardly get it off the floor.

I have hit it well, but it’s like 1/10. I had to take a 5W off the tee today and it wasn’t great, I need my driver back so can anybody please give me advice on how to fix this, I’m willing to give anything a try now.
Cheers all

Sounds like they think you’re leaving it open due to twisting the axis of the shaft but if the fix they’re giving you is making you hit it way lower I’d guess this isn’t the case

Have a look at some of crossfield vids around catching the club head up with your hands or delivering a high handle ... they probably come up after a search of his channel for push slices

Or wait for your professional help

incatrekker

Visit site
Conscious use of the hands will often result in a different problem. Assuming you get the backswing turn right, try to feel the lower body initiating the downswing by turning your hips and keep turning them. The arms will follow and this will also prevent coming over the top. In essence try letting the arms and hands start the backswing and let the lower body start the downswing. Many good viDX online, find one that uses language you understand.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It's impossible to diagnose your problem without seeing your swing. All the above suggestions are just speculation. You need to understand what your ball flight is telling you. A push says that the clubface is open in relation to the target line at impact because the ball starts off in the direction the clubface is pointing. The slice says that the clubface is open in relation to the swingpath at impact. If your Pro hasn't explained this he's not doing his job. What you need to do is cure the second fault first. When you do you will either hit it straight, straight left or straight right. This will tell you where the swingpath is, in line, in to out (straight right or out to in (straight left). Since you can't get the ball off the ground when you hood the face (a bad idea!) it's likely, in common with most golfers, your swingpath is out to in.

The pros at the Sunderland Golf Centre are very good, if you feel you need to change, & they've a half price offer on just now.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I disagree.
A few simple questions would tell me what's going on.
In fact I've started already :)

But ,surely, providing you get accurate answers. I find it amazing what I think I'm doing , then my pp tells me what he sees me doing.
Sometimes it's unbelievable. If ever an objective assessment is required , it's someone's golf swing (videos are wonderful ?).
Then, to diagnose the problem, it's someone who knows what it is he is seeing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Obviously watching a video would be preferable but not essential.
To save this thread going off track, perhaps the OP could post a few swing videos to help. One from face on and one down the line would be perfect

Fabia999

Visit site
Obviously watching a video would be preferable but not essential.
To save this thread going off track, perhaps the OP could post a few swing videos to help. One from face on and one down the line would be perfect
I will do bob, I’ll try get something sorted out and get it uploaded!

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
Hey,

Cheers all

Which pro do you go to? You’re Lanarkshire aren’t you?
I’d get a video give @bobmac a look everything I’ve saw he’s done on here I’ve been impressed with

incatrekker

Visit site
It's impossible to diagnose your problem without seeing your swing. All the above suggestions are just speculation. You need to understand what your ball flight is telling you. A push says that the clubface is open in relation to the target line at impact because the ball starts off in the direction the clubface is pointing. The slice says that the clubface is open in relation to the swingpath at impact. If your Pro hasn't explained this he's not doing his job. What you need to do is cure the second fault first. When you do you will either hit it straight, straight left or straight right. This will tell you where the swingpath is, in line, in to out (straight right or out to in (straight left). Since you can't get the ball off the ground when you hood the face (a bad idea!) it's likely, in common with most golfers, your swingpath is out to in.

The pros at the Sunderland Golf Centre are very good, if you feel you need to change, & they've a half price offer on just now.
You’re correct ref target line & swingpath but the fix depends on the cause of the variation. Only a pro working with him can fix this but the good news is that he only has one miss type to correct!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
If
You’re correct ref target line & swingpath but the fix depends on the cause of the variation. Only a pro working with him can fix this but the good news is that he only has one miss type to correct!

Both myself and my mate have a similar problem , which I am convinced is the most- times inability to get the correct swingpath, I.e. In to out.
I find if I concentrate enough to get my right shoulder down through the downswing, it helps very much.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When first starting golf I was told this can come from a shaft that is to stiff for you.
The face Cant square up .
Is this true?
Did u get fitted for your clubs?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hey,

Cheers all

Check your grip.

If it isn't your grip. Check your ball position.

If it isn't either of those, buy new clubs ?