GPS watch vs rangefinder

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
What would be a brand to go with for a rangefinder ? Hopefully I can grab one in sales next week.
I love my bushnell. Years of experience in hunting optics. They have great views with important tech like vibrating when you hit the flag and slope reading when you are not in comps. I started with a cheap one, which was fine but they just don’t hit the flag as quick and easy. The newer ones worked great for shaky hands too.

be warned though. They take a couple of games to get used to and it’s worth measuring the distance to the background foliage every now and again to ensure you’ve hit the flag. Once you’ve got it though, you’ll not look back.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have a V2 Bushnell and of you make a small sweep either side of the flag the readout shows the background and then the flag.
Simples

evemccc

Visit site
If you want to speed play up there are many, many more things to look at other than using a laser.
If it takes more than 5 seconds to get a lock then its user error and not the fact that it's a laser...these people probably take 10 seconds ds to look at a GPS as well.....

Agreed. Assuming people aren’t looking for balls in the rough, in general, I find it’s the greens where people can be tremendously slow in particular.

There are two people I sometimes play with who I like as PP generally, but they’re both just a bit slow. Not awfully, but it’s noticeable to draw comments from others. Pretty much in everything. So many practice swings yet they seem to bear no resemblance to their real swing ?

I don’t like to race round, but slow play is worse

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I prefer the range finder to the gps watch - can’t be bothered putting my glasses on to read it. Yes it might take a bit longer to use but if you then get closer to the flag you’ll save more time around the green.

For the blind shots try zapping back to the tee. If you’re on a 400yd hole and can’t see the flag but the tee is zapped at 260yds you’ve got 140yds to the green. There are work arounds you can consider.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Think that you should have to have a single figure handicap to use a laser. You look ridiculous at the best of times using one. Even more so when you get your reading of 78 yards, fat it 3 yards and then get the laser out again ?

G1z1

Visit site
Think that you should have to have a single figure handicap to use a laser. You look ridiculous at the best of times using one. Even more so when you get your reading of 78 yards, fat it 3 yards and then get the laser out again ?
I play with a +2 player and I’ve seen him fat shots. I used a rangefinder the other day for a round, a guy in our group has one but never uses it. After using it I won’t be buying one. It was more handy I found for seeing what carry you needed on some holes off the tee to get over a hazard.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I have found the laser to be really helpful not just for the green distances, but also distance to a hazard and to clear it, especially on courses I've not played before.
It takes me 5 seconds to do this and I'm doing it usually while waiting for people to lay their shots, so hardly increasing the round time.
It's also amazing how many people without a device ask me for the yardage...!
Someone has just told me there's a Bushnell GPS app, which you download, enter the code found on your laser, and you have a GPS device on your phone, with hole flyover, all yardage to all hazards and the green, plus stat tracking options. Only trouble I can foresee is having to get the phone out of the bag each time! That will slow things down.
I dislike wearing a watch when playing, so that's out for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Prefer a laser. I picked up a cheap version off Amazon (review has been up here numerous times but it may help the OP and the newbies - https://threeoffthetee.blogspot.com/2016/12/suaoki-laser-rangefinder.html)

I will use it for all approach shots but for me it is only around 130 yards and in that it has a real effect. I am simply not accurate enough from further out to worry. Even from that range I can still spray it with the best but at least I know I had the right club to miss it with

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Think that you should have to have a single figure handicap to use a laser.

Simple question. I'm standing on the fairway, hardly any wind, green fairly large, level ground all the way . I dont know if the pin is 137 yards away or 162 yards - what club do I use to get close to the pin?

Bobthesock

Visit site
Simple question. I'm standing on the fairway, hardly any wind, green fairly large, level ground all the way . I dont know if the pin is 137 yards away or 162 yards - what club do I use to get close to the pin?
What is it to the middle of the green? Then depending on if the pin is front middle or back adjust your club accordingly