GPS Phone App Discussion

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Prior to getting a Garmin watch I used golfshot and have no complaints about it. I only got the watch as my course doesn't have aerial images on the golfshot app, and I never got a response when contacting them about it.

Now I much prefer the watch. It means I don't need to have my phone in my pocket.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My strap on my watch strap broke recently and have just put it in a pocket of the golf bag and finding I can’t be arsed to look in bag for yardages all the time and just use it for shots into green ( sometimes)

So a phone app would be no use to me.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've only used Hole 19 and Swing-by-swing from your list. Currently, I use a GPS watch primarily but Hole 19 if I want a to see a picture of a hole on an unfamiliar course. If I forget my watch I'll use Hole 19 for the whole round and I've never had any battery issues. Maybe it's time you coughed up for a new phone! :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've only used Hole 19 and Swing-by-swing from your list. Currently, I use a GPS watch primarily but Hole 19 if I want a to see a picture of a hole on an unfamiliar course. If I forget my watch I'll use Hole 19 for the whole round and I've never had any battery issues. Maybe it's time you coughed up for a new phone! :D
I made this over three years ago and somebody has bumped it. Hole 19 is the app I still use to this day. Have probably replaced the phone twice since this topic, and no problems. :LOL:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have a laser so use that 99/100, but I find the Swing By Swing app brilliant when I'm playing somewhere I'm unfamiliar with. The yardages to the middle of the green seem to be pretty spot on too :)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Are people using these on phones or smart watches these days.

I've put an app called golf gps on my samsung watch. Think I have 3 goes then I'll have to pay. Seems dead on. Not a lot of faff.

A taylormade one which was rubbish. Wanted me to tap every shot. Not happening.

And another that was similarly useless.

Any good recommendations for these?

peld

Visit site
i still keep going back to Hole19 on my apple watch. Tried a few. SwingU looks good and I can score on it, but the GPS connection is too unreliable

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i still keep going back to Hole19 on my apple watch.

I don't like the fact that you need to purchase to keep score with it, so i am using 18 Birdies on my watch. None of them are as good as my Garmin watch, but it's just so easy to just use the Apple Watch

CrapshotUK

Visit site
I have been using SwingU on android for a few months now, the one I use is free but you can subscribe for more options.

The free App is really good, gives you various stats and is responsive for distances to the pin etc......

eddie_1878

Visit site
I know this comes up every now and then but I've tried several and can't quite make my mind up, just wondered what ones other people are using right now?

Feedback on the ones I have used:

Hole 19 seems to be the best/fastest at getting your location, but as the GPS aspect is open the whole time, it absolutely drains the battery and my knackered old phone can't take it anymore. It's touch and go whether it lasts the round now.

I also have VPAR on my phone - this is the one I tend to use now, as I like the fact that you have to actually open the GPS aspect of it when you want to use it, hence it isn't constantly running, and the battery lasts the round nicely. The down side is, I find it struggles more to pinpoint your location exactly. Sometimes I'll be looking at it and it fluctuates between 5 or 10 yards, and doesn't quite fix on a point, or it is quite obviously 20 or 30 yards out. Which is frustrating.

I downloaded Swing by Swing and tried it out yesterday, but in all honesty I didn't like the layout/visual interface, and the GPS seemed to be struggling just like VPAR so I killed it after about 2 holes.

I've now downloaded 18Birdies, which has a strong 4.7 rating on Play Store (android version of app store). The layout looks nice, it also looks like you don't need the GPS open all the time, which is encouraging. Obviously I need to test it on course and see what the GPS is like this weekend.

I’ve been using V1 for the last few months…works great and gives some good post-round analysis on the higher subscription. Yardages and GPS accurate 95% of the time.