Gortex.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Evening all,

I'm looking at picking up a gortex jacket for golf any recommendations please.

The waterproofs I have let me down a bit today in a heavy downpour so thought I would invest.

Cheers

Midnight...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Evening all,

I'm looking at picking up a gortex jacket for golf any recommendations please.

The waterproofs I have let me down a bit today in a heavy downpour so thought I would invest.

Cheers

Midnight...

Goretex is goretex really

That said, Ive found my adidas jacket better than the Galvin Green one it replaced, can usually find them for £100 or just below

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Goretex is goretex really

That said, Ive found my adidas jacket better than the Galvin Green one it replaced, can usually find them for £100 or just below

What model jacket is it please mate and what is the sizing like?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had 3 makes in my time and they all have been good
Sunderland
ProQuip
Sprayway

The latter can be found in Outdoor clothing shops like Blacks

I coud not give any idea on current models because I bought mine years ago. Provided they do not get damaged they last for years. Mine have been changed because they get sun faded or the design goes out fashion e.g. my Proquip and Sunderland ones are Tartan, they now make great waterproof gardening jackets.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd try and find a place you can try a jacket on, I had a galvin green goretex jacket that was great so long as it didn't rain as it leaked round the neck ?

Replaced it with a proquip stormforce px6 which has been great. Proquip have just released the px7 so there may be some discounts out tbere.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not too sure, will check, its just a shell no lining (so similar to the GG pac lite ones)

Size wise Id call it roomy, had an XXL in GG and that was snug and a little short, have an XL in the Adidas and its bigger and definitely longer

edit: its a 2 layer goretex jacket according to the label, something like this (albeit it in black) : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adidas-Golf-Gore-Tex-Two-Layer-1-2-Zip-Waterproof-Golf-Jacket-RRP-170-MEDIUM/284087391002?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=fabfdffb28544993846326921c65a844&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=322744995664&itm=284087391002&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

re edit: not sure adidas do them anymore so may be a case of finding on ebay etc

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This is a subject that comes up year after year and rightly so.

Years ago I bought a GG. Ave let my thoughts be known on that but bottom line would I want to pay north of £200 for a jacket
(any jacket) and then go rummaging through the trees looking for a ball. When I bought it yes.Now,not a cat in hells chance.
surprisingly, more and more folk are getting jackets ( inc me) from outdoor walking and hiking shops.
Come what May, whatever you buy, try it on and swing yer arms like a nutter in the shop.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have some Sunice trousers, non Goretex, and they are great, but for how long? I also have some Goretex ones bought from Clubhouse golf for £80 and they are not as nice to wear, a bit plasticky, but I am guessing will be waterproof for far longer.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I have a pair of GG trousers that I bought January last year, been worn max 10 times since. Wore them in a comp last month that lasted for 3 holes before the course closed. It was raining hard, but we didn't even finish 3 holes..... and my lower half was soaked through to the skin, may as well have played without them. I contacted GG just before lockdown, was told

Goretex products carry their “guaranteed to keep you dry” promise and rarely fail when they are well cared for. It may simply be that the water repellency needs re-activating. Please check the goretex website for help with how to do this.
https://www.gore-tex.com/gore-tex-wash-instructions-overview

To re-apply the DWR as described on the page , we use and recommend a product called “Grangers Repel” https://grangers.co.uk/products/clothing-repel

If that doesn’t help and the garment is in good condition (no threads or punctures), please contact any Galvin Green stockist, details on our website https://www.galvingreen.com/stores , they will be happy to arrange the return of the garment back to us and we can then inspect and test it accordingly. They may ask for receipt/proof of purchase.

Before returning your item, please wash it and check for any visual signs of damage (scratches, or punctures) which would invalidate the Gore warranty (on the outside and the inside of the garment).

This is the second GG item I have bought, that has failed to keep me anywhere close to 100% dry. The trousers are immaculate condition, no threads or punctures, and really not sure why the should need re-activating after 10 wears. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have yet to find a set of goretex waterproofs that holds up to the 100% dry guarantee that they all market themselves on.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have some Sunice trousers, non Goretex, and they are great, but for how long? I also have some Goretex ones bought from Clubhouse golf for £80 and they are not as nice to wear, a bit plasticky, but I am guessing will be waterproof for far longer.

Our waterproofs must be 5+ years

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have a pair of GG trousers that I bought January last year, been worn max 10 times since. Wore them in a comp last month that lasted for 3 holes before the course closed. It was raining hard, but we didn't even finish 3 holes..... and my lower half was soaked through to the skin, may as well have played without them. I contacted GG just before lockdown, was told

This is the second GG item I have bought, that has failed to keep me anywhere close to 100% dry. The trousers are immaculate condition, no threads or punctures, and really not sure why the should need re-activating after 10 wears. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have yet to find a set of goretex waterproofs that holds up to the 100% dry guarantee that they all market themselves on.
I went through the exact same problem with GG. They sent me some water proofing stuff with washing instructions in Scandinavian languages. Google translation sorted that. Made me chuckle when it said “slow dry in the oven”. I kid you not.
I played 18 holes and was wet through, I took them straight back to the shop I bought them from before going home. They let them dry out before sending them back.
Bottom line I was not impressed I had paid £200 for an average jacket.
GG ranges are very stylish, they really do look nice. But I think the quality has suffered over the last few years. Re there goretex I would argue there’s jackets and trousers that are as waterproof if not better for half the price.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good quality gortex can be refreshed by washing in Nikwax....makes a big difference. Then a warm spin in the tumble drier

The 'spin in a tumble drier' is make specific so check the labels and make sure all seams are still well sealed.

I ruined one jacket because I tumbled dried, it having always done so with my previous make.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the second GG item I have bought, that has failed to keep me anywhere close to 100% dry. The trousers are immaculate condition, no threads or punctures,
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I have yet to find a set of goretex waterproofs that holds up to the 100% dry guarantee that they all market themselves on.

I have a pair of Sunderland Classic Goretex trousers that are around 30 years old and are still as waterproof as the day I bought them they were regularly reproofed with Nikwax about every 2-3 years. Just not worn for golf anymore because I am not the size I was 30 years ago but they make great trousers for when I am washing the car.

The things that makes me buy new wp trousers is that they tend to sunfade and look old and the legs are are always too long and I end up shredding the bottoms of my golf shoes.