Good win for Matt

sunshine

Visit site
Tour Caddies do much more than simply carry the bag and state distances! That's probably why Rory is happy to have his long-time best friend, also a highly skilled golfer, on his bag! The fact that the pairing is occasionally deemed the reason Rory hasn't won more majors indicates how others view it too! And that's in spite of Nicklaus's Show up; Keep up; Shut up! view.

Yes, caddies are also a coach, mentor, punchbag (Matt Wallace's anyway). Some players lean on their caddies like a crutch to validate all their decisions. I've been to a few women's events where it seemed like a few players were reliant on their caddie telling them what to do (some of them appeared to be father/daughter).

But I don't think McIlroy is one of those players. He just wants a mate on his bag, not someone who's going to tell him what to do.

Lee Westwood was the same, he decided to have his non-golfer girlfriend on the bag instead of a "professional" caddie (personally I think this is nuts, I can't imagine anything worse than having my wife caddy for me, she's the worst back seat driver ever :LOL: )

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, caddies are also a coach, mentor, punchbag (Matt Wallace's anyway). Some players lean on their caddies like a crutch to validate all their decisions. I've been to a few women's events where it seemed like a few players were reliant on their caddie telling them what to do (some of them appeared to be father/daughter).

But I don't think McIlroy is one of those players. He just wants a mate on his bag, not someone who's going to tell him what to do.

Lee Westwood was the same, he decided to have his non-golfer girlfriend on the bag instead of a "professional" caddie (personally I think this is nuts, I can't imagine anything worse than having my wife caddy for me, she's the worst back seat driver ever :LOL: )
Matsuyama managed to win the Masters with little more than a bag-carrier as his caddie.

D

Deleted member 1147

According to Austin Johnson (DJ's brother and caddy), Harry is highly respected on tour, and if he and Rory split, a lot of big name players would be knocking on his door.