Good drills for hip turning...

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Been working on my swing, and i'm almost there :) The issue i'm having at the moment is whilst i have good rotation on the back swing, i'm not getting proper rotation on the downswing.

Pictures (or video!) speak 1000 words, so here is the current swing.

[video=youtube;RZJ_S2zfP3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZJ_S2zfP3g&feature=plcp&context=C49881d7V DvjVQa1PpcFNcAhtjPGYwVibdGWToV7AmiT8VS4B219Q%3D [/video]

I know it's not perfect, but i want to work on my hip rotation on the downswing/through the ball - any ideas?

Thanks guys!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
thats a solid looking swing right there!! im not qualified to tell you where to go from here! what kind of scores are you getting?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Take a look at the pic below.
It clearly shows you getting your weight too far forward and finishing on the OUTSIDE of your left foot whereas Rory has it on the inside of his foot.

Photo0.jpg

Try and turn your left hip inside the red vertical line as Rory does.

To help this try my chair drill

CIMG0758.jpg

Try and turn through the shot without moving the chair.
You can start off with it a few inches away if you like.
But make sure you position it far enough back so your swing doesnt hit it.

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thats a solid looking swing right there!! im not qualified to tell you where to go from here! what kind of scores are you getting?

Thanks! I know what my issues are (i'm not rotating quick enough on the downswing, if my hands catch up it leads to my thinning the ball) I have a down the line view as well which shows it better (although i will take the camera to the range today, as my swing has slighty changed to that above already)

As for handicap, see my signiture - i don't have one! I last had a handicap around 4 years ago which IIRc was 13.6, but i haven't picked up a club up at all (not even range sessions) in 3 years until last week (look what moving to london does for your golf game!) so i'm trying to get back to that - i would imagine i'll likely start on 16 - 18.

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Take a look at the pic below.
It clearly shows you getting your weight too far forward and finishing on the OUTSIDE of your left foot whereas Rory has it on the inside of his foot.

Try and turn your left hip inside the red vertical line as Rory does.

To help this try my chair drill

Try and turn through the shot without moving the chair.
You can start off with it a few inches away if you like.
But make sure you position it far enough back so your swing doesnt hit it.

I didn't even notice that, thank you - i will work on that this morning! :)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bob, can you correct me if im wrong here but many people mention weight transfer through the ball but you technically are saying try and stay back a tad to stop getting too far ahead.

Correct?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, can you correct me if im wrong here but many people mention weight transfer through the ball but you technically are saying try and stay back a tad to stop getting too far ahead.

Correct?

I wouldn't word it that way. People would then start hanging back on their right foot.
I just mean move the weight from the inside of the back foot to the inside of the front foot.
Think of it as standing in a barrell and turning in a small area.
So yes, the weight moves forwaed but not to the point the OP does.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't word it that way. People would then start hanging back on their right foot.
I just mean move the weight from the inside of the back foot to the inside of the front foot.
Think of it as standing in a barrell and turning in a small area.
So yes, the weight moves forwaed but not to the point the OP does.

Ok, its been a problem of mine particularly with the driver where my body gets ahead of the ball which can result in a wild slice. Been working on it and when I do try and "hold" back it comes off nice particularly if I dont try and go for it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks! I know what my issues are (i'm not rotating quick enough on the downswing, if my hands catch up it leads to my thinning the ball) I have a down the line view as well which shows it better (although i will take the camera to the range today, as my swing has slighty changed to that above already)

As for handicap, see my signiture - i don't have one! I last had a handicap around 4 years ago which IIRc was 13.6, but i haven't picked up a club up at all (not even range sessions) in 3 years until last week (look what moving to london does for your golf game!) so i'm trying to get back to that - i would imagine i'll likely start on 16 - 18.

you can tell you've played a bit looking at that swing. you'll be right back in the thick of it in no time! good luck :D

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
agree with Bob, and your own analysis - if you look closely you seem to stop rotating your shoulders momentarily through impact, then start again to a finish.

I think that this also leads to the position Bob highlights as the lower body is continuing.

Why, and drills to avoid it, I leave to Bob!

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the tip bob - this now looks better? -

[video=youtube;05zEsoNA3yU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zEsoNA3yU&context=C47c8fb9ADvjVQa1PpcFMX GIbnxNJhowPNlbDfj66EbcWUuVKDKPc=[/video]

I'm still under-rotating but hopefully am not 'sliding' as much forward :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It should feel as if your are occupying a much smaller area in your swing and turning more efficiently.
I dont expect you to get to where Rory's picture is as he is hitting driver, but keep at it.
:)