Good coaching experience

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
After seeing the Bad experience thread wanted to let you know about a positive

Had some lessons from the Pro at the club I used to be a member at and he was really good, incremental changes knowing that a wholesale overhaul, which I probably need! would worsen my game / enjoyment to the extent it would be counter productive.

Unfortunately he left the club, and coaching to concentrate on club management so I was left with the task of finding a new Pro - somehow I got on an email list for a GC Pro 20 mins from my house and what he was saying resonated with me so I tried a few lessons..... and thankfully, like the last Pro wasn't intent on tearing up what game I had and made small changes that led to improvements, that led to more changes and more improvements.

That was last year and life's meant golf sadly isn't my number 1 priority but played yesterday and some of what we'd worked on had still stuck so will be giving him another call when I get some time

There are some good Pro's ones out there, you just need to persevere till you find one.

GBC

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The first one I went to was great, and I've stuck with him since. Mrs bough me a lesson when I was getting back into golf 6 years ago and as soon as I met him, he had a very easy communication style and no interest in showing me how good he was.

He has transformed my short game and given me insight into the bad habits I keep on falling back into. Great teacher and would recommend him to anyone.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Asked my pro to look at my swing .
I went on the range to warm up he arrived 10 mins later and stopped 20 yds short of me.
He stood there watching my swing.
He then approached me and said " nothing wrong with your swing it's just your grip is to strong on left hand"
He adjusted my grip and said "That's where it should be practise this".
he then turned and walked back to shop.
I thought this slightly strange but he was right after another bag of balls I was flushing everything.
Went to pay in the shop he said "put me a pint behind the bar"
You don't get this in high street stores so use your pro.
Best lesson I ever had short and sweet!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ping HQ. Excellent. I have always said the best coaches can relate to you as a professor or the student.
Ping HQ guy coaches pros and me and can relate to all.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 pros whom I have had lessons with really stand out. Jason Dransfield and Phillip Archer. I started with Jason at the end of last Summer but he selfishly ;) moved clubs to be closer to home and this season Ive had a few lessons from Phil.

Both communicate changes in a really simple way and leave you with one or two key things to work (with drills) on each time. They are the only pros I've seen whereby I am able to get to the positions in the swing that I need to by the end of the lesson.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last two pros I've used have been very different in their approaches and what tech they use. Both have made some positive input to all aspects of my game and I've enjoyed the learning process with them. Sadly taking that onto a course has often proved far harder but that's the idiot holding the club and not their teaching prowess. We've had a qualified PGA assistant pro at the club for a year or so and he's developing a very good reputation. Not used him personally but speaking to several in the bar tonight who have and he's good and apparently has a mentor he refers to as well.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Asked my pro to look at my swing .
I went on the range to warm up he arrived 10 mins later and stopped 20 yds short of me.
He stood there watching my swing.
He then approached me and said " nothing wrong with your swing it's just your grip is to strong on left hand"
He adjusted my grip and said "That's where it should be practise this".
he then turned and walked back to shop.
I thought this slightly strange but he was right after another bag of balls I was flushing everything.
Went to pay in the shop he said "put me a pint behind the bar"
You don't get this in high street stores so use your pro.
Best lesson I ever had short and sweet!

Nice 👌👍👍👍

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've used Barry Taylor at Clarkes golf in Rainford and Adrian Fryer, now at Netherly in Liverpool.
Adrian has the higher pedigree (and cost) but imo is easier to understand than Barry and he breaks things down more simpler and makes the technical aspects of the swing easier to understand. He also changed more, where as Barry worked with where I already was.
Both very good and I would recommend either. Great guys, friendly and very personable and knowledgeable....

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think the best pro I had so far is Michi Krack. He is a very young guy and absolutely chaotic and unorganized, but he has a fantastic eye. I never saw him use a launch monitor or even a video camera or anyhting like that. He will just watch your swing and then correct something minor, mostly in your setup, and suddenly everything clicks into place. And he has a fantastic bubbly personality and just radiates so much enthusiasm. I mostly had group lessons with him, during golf holidays, but I always felt he only had to show up behind me and I would start to hit the most beautiful shots ever. He is also very creative with drills for putting and short game. It is just so much fun to work with him.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The first one I went to was great, and I've stuck with him since. Mrs bough me a lesson when I was getting back into golf 6 years ago and as soon as I met him, he had a very easy communication style and no interest in showing me how good he was.

He has transformed my short game and given me insight into the bad habits I keep on falling back into. Great teacher and would recommend him to anyone.

I could have wrote this word for word :thup: