Good camera for videoing golf swing

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Up to now have been using Iphone but Apple are a crock of (add expletive)... all of a sudden the past few years suddenly always seem to get warnings of storage running out and them trying to push extra storage on at a cost.

Anyway apart from that Rant.

Looking for a decent camera to video golf swing- needs to have slo-mo on it- preferably at varying speeds, pause etc. Also like it to have reasonably good storage, and/or space for good storage card.

Was thinking maybe Go-Pro but havent tried one and not sure if it has slo-mo and if its any good.

Any recommendations? don't want to break the bank!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hudl, former Ubersense, is fairly simple. I use it with my son. We don't do anything too clever with it but it films and does slo mo at varying speeds. We find it very useful. He just has the free version and that is enough for us.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that the tesco tablet with an App? Would rather have a camera to be honest with a bit more spec on it

Oh another thing I'd want is something with video playback as no not all these type cameras have that

Last edited:

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
GoPros are great and will capture high def slow motion. You can get small screens for them but they are small so you would probably be best using it in conjunction with a tablet. There's an android app as well so you should be able to work it with the tesco hudl2 tablet which I've heard good things about.

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a gopro hero 3+ black when filming my swing, does upto 60 fps on 1080p or 120 fps on 720p. Really good piece of kit and is mountable anywhere.

If you ignore some of the wiggles, have a look at this, the last swing is slowed down, its the first video i really filmed on my gopro, think its 60 fps @ 1080p:

[video=youtube;0Vo-ouJJhWM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vo-ouJJhWM[/video]

The newer 4 i think can do higher frame rates, not sure on the session..

I have alot of mounts now so mates it easier to stand up and leave it. You also don't need the screen as you can view it from an iphone using the wifi link.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You really going to get any better than an iPhone 5S or 6 with 240fps slow motion? with all the other functionalty of a phone?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have the GoPro Hero 4 Black and it's a great piece of kit.

I haven't had enough time to really get going with it however have done one practice video whilst learning about the software etc.

[video=youtube_share;rUfVtkGTEfk]http://youtu.be/rUfVtkGTEfk[/video]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I use the Casio EXFC150 and cant really fault it.
It's a shame they dont come up for sale very often and when they do, they're normally from Japan and around £80-£100

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
best camera by a country mile for real golf analysis you can now only get on re-sale as it's not made anymore - the Casio exilim pro EX F1, as the F1 pro importantly allows you to shoot at 300fps but with the ability to have manual shutter speed control (light really crucial in high speed shooting)
if....! you can still find a good one it won't be cheap around the price of a new iPhone at around $900-$1000 - other than that you are in many 1000's for high end sony video cams to get the frame rates

whole bunch of golf teachers still use Casio exilim pro ex F1 for good reason

slow mo shooting rate to be really useful in analysis got be at least 120fps - then loaded into V1 or Analyzer software or at least a decent phone app

surprised about the comments over Apple (though guess it depends which phone version has been used) the new larger i6+ has good resolution at higher speed for reasonable slow mo & as has been said combine with a good app (like ubersense now renamed hudi, but others like 'coach' good too as they allow more frame speed manipulation)

Trackman not adding any more 'driver' software for any new cameras as they using the 6+ iPhone or new 'i' tablet mostly & expect more coaches to use this now as footage is good enough & it's convenient not lugging extra camera equipment
'Bloomberg West' expect that the lens & camera of the soon to be released 'i7' to be even better

go pro useful as a tool to shoot general footage but the big problem is that the shutter isn't a 'global' one
it operates horizontally over the lens so at the higher frame range it can shoot at you get 'shaft distortion' real bad through the impact area makes go pro not so useful for analysis as the slow mo rate without distortion is still a ways too fast to be real useful

the distortion issue is going to be there as can't see go pro changing to a 'global' shutter due to the cost so any newer iteration is still going to have that issue (see image below shot on go pro at high frame rate)
probably now, the i6+ or whatever the new version is called is the best ways to go

huxgzY4.png
[/IMG]

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the iphone 6 I have and don't have a problem with the camera(which is good) I also have a couple fo good video apps for slo-mo.

Issue is with a lot more sotrage being used up by apps etc than before and feel it's apples way of shifting storage space onto users at a cost when I didn't have this issue with older versions before)

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Issue is with a lot more sotrage being used up by apps etc than before and feel it's apples way of shifting storage space onto users at a cost when I didn't have this issue with older versions before)

Now that I have to agree with you on. No SD storage and 16Gb of base level? crikey my BIOS chip has more storage (joke) and I was recently forced to add more cloud storage for my iPhone 6 due to the really really annoying pop ups everytime I went to add anything.

The camera is good, but the way it's supported with crap storage isnt. Apparently Apple rent their storage on Amazon S3 cloud or something, unlike Microsoft and Google who have dedicated server farms in Dublin for that. They pay, we pay more mentaility with Apple.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Turkish,

I assume you are talking cloud storage? My wife's was doing the same. I just turned off cloud storage on the phone settings. No problems.

As for storage on the phone, I am going to be using my 6 soon at the range. I will simply dump the vids onto the pc when I get in & remove them from my phone unless I have any really good vids to keep & show around.

Or found this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sports-Camc...ie=UTF8&qid=1439385645&sr=8-5&keywords=go+pro

on amazon. Just searched go pro. Reviews look ok.

Last edited:

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Drew- yeah talking about cloud storage and think i'll do the same- and yeah all my camera stuff takes up half of the storage so my laziness in downloading them all partly to blame. but even all the other apps take up a lot too- you really don't get much on a 16gb iphone these days. I don't even have that much music as use spotify so a bit of a pain.

That camera looks decent and about 1/5 the price of a go pro. It is only 60 fps- I know coach said 120 is what you want minimum but for what I need it for might be decent enough.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Drew- yeah talking about cloud storage and think i'll do the same- and yeah all my camera stuff takes up half of the storage so my laziness in downloading them all partly to blame. but even all the other apps take up a lot too- you really don't get much on a 16gb iphone these days. I don't even have that much music as use spotify so a bit of a pain.

That camera looks decent and about 1/5 the price of a go pro. It is only 60 fps- I know coach said 120 is what you want minimum but for what I need it for might be decent enough.

I went for the 64gb just to be on safe side but only get 55gb after OS etc on it, so bit bad of apple to sell it as a 64gb when it isn't....

Yeah for a point click & review I reckon it would be ok. I don't understand fps that well, but at 60 you should still get enough info for you (us) to review and praise :thup:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 newish cameras just released by Sony though a tad pricey look like having real decent specs re high speed slow mo (most of the better cells Apple included use Sony lenses) Sony RX100 IV & RX 10 II.