GolfShot WHS Update

Craz69

Visit site
Hi.

I’m new to the forum, so apologies if this has been answered before (I searched and didn’t see anything).

I’ve been using GolfShot (paid version) for a couple of years. I only play at 1 course 99% of the year and have a handicap there of 15. A couple of months ago, I updated the app and it now calculates my handicap using the WHS system to be 4 for the course I play at, based on some slope/handicap rating.

I am totally confused now! I’ve never scored 74 around my course (Par 70), and that won’t happen anytime soon! It seems that GolfShot has not taken into account that my 15 h/c is for this course.

Should it be applying slope ratings for any other course I play but not this one? I assumed that everyone would have a ‘home’ course where their handicap was earned and that slope ratings would then apply if you played at other courses. Perhaps that’s wrong.

In any case, to emulate my 15 h/c in GolfShot I’m now having to put myself into the app as a 27 h/c golfer. It then alters it back down to 15 (mad!).

Has anyone had similar issues?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't find Thorpe Park on the EG app, so would assume it is not affiliated and therefore has not had a course assessment carried out. By default WHS would be not be available for this course. So Golfshot must have given it some sort of estimated course and slope rating. Do you know what they are??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi.

I’m new to the forum, so apologies if this has been answered before (I searched and didn’t see anything).

I’ve been using GolfShot (paid version) for a couple of years. I only play at 1 course 99% of the year and have a handicap there of 15. A couple of months ago, I updated the app and it now calculates my handicap using the WHS system to be 4 for the course I play at, based on some slope/handicap rating.

I am totally confused now! I’ve never scored 74 around my course (Par 70), and that won’t happen anytime soon! It seems that GolfShot has not taken into account that my 15 h/c is for this course.

Should it be applying slope ratings for any other course I play but not this one? I assumed that everyone would have a ‘home’ course where their handicap was earned and that slope ratings would then apply if you played at other courses. Perhaps that’s wrong.

In any case, to emulate my 15 h/c in GolfShot I’m now having to put myself into the app as a 27 h/c golfer. It then alters it back down to 15 (mad!).

Has anyone had similar issues?
Have you ever played/entered scores for (just) 9 holes?

Craz69

Visit site
Nope, oddly there are 2 ‘Thorpe Park’ golf courses in Lincolnshire and that’s the other one! This is a 9-hole course (par 35), but essentially two sets of tees per hole, so we play 18 holes , par 70.

GolfShot has it as 29.8/105 (for 9 holes) or 59.6 / 105 for 18. I don’t know where that’s come from.

Craz69

Visit site
I like the app. I use it for distances, shot metrics, etc, and also for scoring when friends and I play Stableford games (most weekends).

I don’t require an official handicap, but that was never related to the question.

For example, if you had a handicap of 20 and then rocked up at your normal course after updating GolfShot (or Hole19 for that matter) and your handicap had been adjusted to 6, would you understand and agree with that change?

Springveldt

Visit site
What’s your best 8 scores out of your last 20 rounds? Should be able to figure out your WHS index with the course rating and slope.

Craz69

Visit site
Everyone who plays there just has a Thorpe Park handicap. We take part in comps using those. We play against each other casually using those. We used to be able to use our h/c’s in the app and it worked out scores correctly.

We shouldn’t need to all have official WHS h/c’s to use the app surely?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I like the app. I use it for distances, shot metrics, etc, and also for scoring when friends and I play Stableford games (most weekends).

I don’t require an official handicap, but that was never related to the question.

For example, if you had a handicap of 20 and then rocked up at your normal course after updating GolfShot (or Hole19 for that matter) and your handicap had been adjusted to 6, would you understand and agree with that change?
If I was using an official App linked to my CDH number, then I'm sure it would be fine and worked out correctly, and if it wasn't I'd go to my handicap sec

You're using some kind of unapproved software to track an unofficial handicap, who you going to complain to?

Craz69

Visit site
I asked if anyone had had similar issues with the GolfShot app. Since you're not using this I'm not sure where you're going with this?

Our course is on a caravan site. Very few of the people who play in our competitions have official handicaps. A lot of us use either GolfShot or Hole19 as they both have our course in their products and provide similar distance measurements, scoring systems, etc.

When we hold competitions, scorecards are handed in, scores are calculated, handicaps go up/down based on the rounds, etc. Correct... they're not official, but they are correct for the people that play at this course. I was just asking for opinions on the fact that we all now have reduced handicaps at the course we play at week-in, week-out. I didn't find it 'normal' for handicaps to be so massively adjusted (mine was 15 down to 4. Another friend's was 26 down to 12).

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
If your all using the same apps has it adjusted other people's h/c the same? If it has you should still be able to compete with each other. Personally I wouldn't bother much, I'd just be telling anybody who listened I played off 4. ?

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site

GolfShot has it as 29.8/105 (for 9 holes) or 59.6 / 105 for 18
I use Golfshot paid version too and just updated to see what it is all about ? In my case the hcp they estimate was a bit higher than my WHS index, so not far off.

The issue is that they are rating your course as very very easy - effectively a scratch player is expected to shoot 10 under. ?

What is/was the SSS on your club score cards? If it was close to par than just scan the card and email to Golfshot saying that you haven’t been rated for WHS but this is what your previous system (SSS/par) was and that their estimate of course rating and slope is way out of line.

In past experience they are quite responsive.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I use Golfshot paid version too and just updated to see what it is all about ? In my case the hcp they estimate was a bit higher than my WHS index, so not far off.

The issue is that they are rating your course as very very easy - effectively a scratch player is expected to shoot 10 under. ?

What is/was the SSS on your club score cards? If it was close to par than just scan the card and email to Golfshot saying that you haven’t been rated for WHS but this is what your previous system (SSS/par) was and that their estimate of course rating and slope is way out of line.

In past experience they are quite responsive.

Found a photo of the card for this course online. Its 18 lengths is just over 5,000yds from the tips, yet was showing its SSS as 70. Pretty sure that the club has not bothered to affiliate with the Lincs Golf Union and therefore has no official slope or CR. Can only assume that Golfshot has made one up. What seems strange though is the figures the OP gave for Slope and CR would result in a much higher handicap than before.