Golfing Holiday with a Difference?

Rhodes82

Visit site
Morning All,

So I'm interested in finding out what golfers look for when heading off on a golfing holiday?

Im potentially thinking about establishing a golf holiday company that offers a unique experience to golfers travelling to South Africa. Not only would golfers get to play some of South Africa's best courses, in all year round weather but they will get to stay in a luxury villa while having access to their own personal chef and host who will ensure that all their needs are taken care off from airport pickup to airport drop off at the end of their tour.

I am wanting to see if this is something that golfers wishing to travel to South Africa for golf would be interested.

Would be great if anyone on this forum could give me an indication if this is something they would consider or if not, why not.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

D

Deleted member 23270

I think your target audience is very small. Most golfers I know are generally looking for a 3-7 day break with the lads when they go on a golf trip and always on a budget. For UK golfers to go to South Africa as you describe I am imagining would likely cost £3-5K minimum per head by the time you include flights, transfers etc? That is the sort of money that Americans will spend to come over to Scotland or Ireland. Maybe you would be better off trying to target Americans?

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your Golf Travel already offer golf holidays to South Africa so it might be worth checking out your potential competition.

D

Deleted member 1147

I imagine that what you are thinking about would be too expensive for most golfers.
As DaveR says, perhaps Yanks are your target audience, although there are some who would be interested in it. The private chef seems like a bit of overkill to me. In fact, when I go to Portugal it's nice to get out and about and try different local restaurants, so being stuck in with the same chef every nigh may not be too appealing.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same as above. Most golfers I know are on a tight budget, somewhere between £500-£1000 all in, a few nights away, few rounds of golf, plenty of beer and food.

For me personally, when I’m discussing golf trips with my wife, I already have to talk them down and make out we’re slumming it and it’s costs less than it actually does! If I said I was spending a few thousand quid on a holiday to South Africa and she wasn’t invited, I’d be looking for a new place to live when I got back!

Saying that, I dare say there is a market if you target the wealthier folk.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Keep the price down for me, so happy with:-

Pick up and drop off in a Ford Cortina estate, circa 1978 model.
The cook can do me a full English for brekky, wildebeest pie and chips every night, or any other local produce half-eaten by nature.
24 pack of breaker, red stripe or Skol.
2 tickets for the lions tour.
Bunk beds are fine, in case the missus gets any ideas.

Go on, I'll pay £750.00, including flights........

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I addition to the above, I am already aware of one pro who organises trips to S. Africa exactly as you describe. Assuming it's not you, what will you differentiate on, or what amkes you think there is a big market for this?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I go home loads and play golf when I am over there. Luckily I know where is good to stay and play. I usually sort it all out around my family and time in the bush.

South Africa is a brilliant destination and I know loads of folk who go on golf holidays there and combine it with a decent safari (hate that word)/Cape Town/Gardewn Route/Durbs etc.

Well worth the effort and some of the poepols on here would naysay if you gift wrapped the opportunity for them

D

Deleted member 1147

I go home loads and play golf when I am over there. Luckily I know where is good to stay and play. I usually sort it all out around my family and time in the bush.

South Africa is a brilliant destination and I know loads of folk who go on golf holidays there and combine it with a decent safari (hate that word)/Cape Town/Gardewn Route/Durbs etc.

Well worth the effort and some of the poepols on here would naysay if you gift wrapped the opportunity for them

I agree that it sounds like a great idea, and many people I know who go on holiday to SA rave about it. But, for the average golf break, a few hundred quid is the maximum people will spend.
Things like a personal chef are just extra fripperies that most don't want or need - perhaps more suitable for family holidays.

As such, I think the OP needs to think about who is market actually is.

Rhodes82

Visit site
Thanks for the responses by all.. much appreciated.

My ambition is not to compete against the likes of Your Golf Travel etc, as this is a completely different idea and model and therefore I realise the target market will be small. The aim is to offer golfers an unique experience in South Africa which is not your typical golfing break with the lads. So I do know who my target audience will / should be and the intention of the post is to see if there IS a market (albeit a small market) for this type of golf tour / holiday.

Once again, thank you for your input and responses

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the responses by all.. much appreciated.

My ambition is not to compete against the likes of Your Golf Travel etc, as this is a completely different idea and model and therefore I realise the target market will be small. The aim is to offer golfers an unique experience in South Africa which is not your typical golfing break with the lads. So I do know who my target audience will / should be and the intention of the post is to see if there IS a market (albeit a small market) for this type of golf tour / holiday.

Once again, thank you for your input and responses
I don't think you're going to get many Wentworth members and the like on here, as they are the ones I would suggest you're looking at.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've had some great trips to South Africa.

Testing potential markets using a forum is a start but a bit hit and miss. High end accommodation and concierge services is one end of scale!

Once you've paid the airfare, it's much less expensive than Europe, so scope to do things increases.

And it's well worth the trip