Golfing holiday tips please gents.

Bottom Groove

Visit site
Hi all.
I’ve been lingering here in the shadows for a while so thought it about time I say hi and ask a question along with it ?

I used to play badly about 25 years as a young man, then life got in the way. I started playing again in mid 2018 and joined my local club and a little society whom have comps fortnightly but nothing serious.
I have reduced my h/c down to 15 but am sure I can get it a bit lower once the weather improves.

Anyway, myself and a few mates are heading off to Portugal in a few weeks for the 1st time and I’m hoping some of you more experienced chaps can give me some tips for travelling with clubs and anything else you feel relevant.
I have a travel bag but that’s about it lol.
Anyway, thanks in advance.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse.

If you are taking a towel, wrap that round your club heads on the bag rater than in your ordinary luggage. Get a stiff arm or a couple of broom handles that are longer than your longest club & put them in the bag to protect your shafts if the bag is dropped. Some suggest removing driver/fairway wood/hybrid heads from the shafts to reduce the chance of breakage, not tried it myself.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, As above plus pack plenty of balls and small stuff in your suitcase, don't get too drunk :unsure: if you want to enjoy the golf. I wish somebody had told me that years ago :eek: I wouldn't have listened anyway :D golf isn't everything:ROFLMAO: enjoy your holiday and report back all the gory details (y)

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to say, all sound advice but if you're a bit lazy then I've always just gone with a carry case and wrapping the towel around clubs if I have one. I've probably taken them on planes 15+ times with no issues to date and insurance can kick in.

Travel insurance I personally think is worth while plus your European health card (although never used it) which lasts another year.

If you don't have one then I'd be inclined to borrow a laser. Don't know specifically about Portugal but find quite often undulating and difficult to work out run offs/carrys on drives and yardages (particularly if you have a buggy you can't take on the fairway).