Golf umbrellas-how long should they last?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a Mizuno one for a very long time.
Problem with the modern ones is the main shafts are made of a crap graphite and are just not strong enough.
Most have a slit in them for the locking mechanisms and that’s where most snap just above the handle,that I have seen.
Get one with a metal main shaft if you can find one.
I've still got my mizuno one that's at least 10 years old. It's a bit battered and like most of the tri colour handles on mizuno brollies the end came off in the trolleys brolly holder.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've still got my mizuno one that's at least 10 years old. It's a bit battered and like most of the tri colour handles on mizuno brollies the end came off in the trolleys brolly holder.

Mines not tri colour but the end cap is currently wedged in my holder. After 8 years it’s the least of my concerns

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mines a black and gold one.
Had it at my old club so it’s at least 2008.
Can’t even remember where I got it.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve had stewart golf ones and the mechanism has broke through the carbon fibre shaft twice So I’ve moved to motacaddy and it seems great. Had it about two years now and no problems…..mainly because I’ve not taken it onto a train :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve had stewart golf ones and the mechanism has broke through the carbon fibre shaft twice So I’ve moved to motacaddy and it seems great. Had it about two years now and no problems…..mainly because I’ve not taken it onto a train :)

Why would you take your clubs on a train?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gotta love how many think the branding on the fabric actually matters:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I dont use a Bromley. A waterproof bucket hat is lighter and easier to carry.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My first one. A Motocaddy lasted 3 holes. Wind blew the trolley over and it snapped. ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I'm lending some sets sets of old clubs to 3 mates on Monday so we can have a friendly vintage-clubs fourball.
On Sunday, when I'm sorting out the clubs, I'll try to remember to get all my brollies out and take a photo.
I remember one that my dad bought in the 1960s eventually breaking up, but apart from that all others have lasted.
Got a couple attached to bags of clubs bought in the last year or so - all good and workable - more than 40 years old.
Nowadays, things like this are made as cheaply as possible to make as much profit as possible. That's the nature of commercial success over quality.
My newest brolly is a black Ping one bought with pro-shop credit about 15 years ago.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
As promised, a photo of my brollies. I have a feeling that there is another one in the loft somewhere.
The Ping one at the back is the newest at 15 years old. All in good working order.

brollies.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I doubt that Mizuno, Callaway and the like have teams of umbrella designers. More likely that umbrella factories in China, Taiwan, Turkey etc win a contract to put these different company names on the umbrellas that they make as cheaply as possible. I'm only guessing, mind. But I do see a lot of really crap, but big brollies about.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I doubt that Mizuno, Callaway and the like have teams of umbrella designers. More likely that umbrella factories in China, Taiwan, Turkey etc win a contract to put these different company names on the umbrellas that they make as cheaply as possible. I'm only guessing, mind. But I do see a lot of really crap, but big brollies about.
Thats far to sensible a reply:)

Perhaps we should start a new thread " my golf ball only last 2 holes...."