Golf trip w/c March 7

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Has anyone done a trip at this time of year and where might be good in the UK? We're all based in Leeds and, in the very loosest sense, it's a stag do. Portugal/Europe was mooted but one of them doesn't fancy it...

When I try and think of something 'different' I just keep coming back to St Andrews - too cold? Is for three days so would probably fancy 3/4 rounds and a bit of nightlife/nice boozers

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
That time of year, links would be best imo. These isles certainly have more than their fair share so its a case of how far you want to drive.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Has anyone done a trip at this time of year and where might be good in the UK? We're all based in Leeds and, in the very loosest sense, it's a stag do. Portugal/Europe was mooted but one of them doesn't fancy it...

When I try and think of something 'different' I just keep coming back to St Andrews - too cold? Is for three days so would probably fancy 3/4 rounds and a bit of nightlife/nice boozers

St Andrews ticks the boxes in terms of nightlife and boozers, no need to drive to courses after a night out etc. Always the risk of ground frost/snow but if you can accept that then St Andrews is a great choice.

Alternative in Scotland is to stay in Edinburgh (great nightlife) and play golf in East Lothian but there's a little bit of travel involved for the golf.

Check Bunkered Golf Breaks for Scottish options with some good Winter deals.

D

Deleted member 21258

Norfolk. From Sheringham, cromer, Royal West, Hunstanston (Great Yarmouth)

Or maybe Parkstone/Broadstone/Ferndown

As down south, Warmer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saunton or St Enodoc. Definitely warmer down south.;) Not sure about a stag night though.
Does the SW not get a lot of rain coming in from the Atlantic at that time of year? Definitely warmer but no joy if you are in a deluge.

A month or so later in the year and it becomes more viable, although a long drive from Leeds.

How about staying in Liverpool and playing some of the links courses around there and the Wirral (March could be wet wherever so links makes sense)? Lots of serviced apartments for a group to stay in, plenty of nightlife.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Does the SW not get a lot of rain coming in from the Atlantic at that time of year? Definitely warmer but no joy if you are in a deluge.

A month or so later in the year and it becomes more viable, although a long drive from Leeds.

How about staying in Liverpool and playing some of the links courses around there and the Wirral (March could be wet wherever so links makes sense)? Lots of serviced apartments for a group to stay in, plenty of nightlife.
I think at that time of the year it is pot luck anywhere with the weather. We played Saunton in March in polos. Seems to have its own microclimate. St Enodoc defintely can be wild.:eek:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think at that time of the year it is pot luck anywhere with the weather. We played Saunton in March in polos. Seems to have its own microclimate. St Enodoc defintely can be wild.:eek:
Oh, I agree. It could be tropical, it could be time to build an ark. March is a month too early for a trip like this but that is out of Mark's control.

My cousin muttered about retiring to Devon at one point and then changed his mind after a winter of following the weather there. I've done the same since just for interest. Devon and Cornwall seem to bear the brunt of some serious weather coming across the Atlantic through winter. Not cold, we get that up here from Scandinavia, but the amount of rain is hefty and seems to come in chunks. If Mark gets unlucky it could be a full on wash out. Other areas may get wet but perhaps not in deluges. This isn't a criticism, just trying to help the OP. (you will note I am not recommending him coming to Newcastle in March :LOL: bbrrrrr)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The clever money is heading south but the draw of St Andrews is quite a big one. Just had a quick look and Dumbarnie doesn't open until the following week which tells its own story. Did wonder about Enville as never been but not sure what there is to do near there. Southport probably more of a banker

sunshine

Visit site
Stag do in early March... probably best heading to somewhere like Malaga or Alicante.

I've tried UK links breaks in March before and when it comes to the weather you are rolling the dice and hoping for double six.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The clever money is heading south but the draw of St Andrews is quite a big one. Just had a quick look and Dumbarnie doesn't open until the following week which tells its own story. Did wonder about Enville as never been but not sure what there is to do near there. Southport probably more of a banker

Southport nightlife = Wetherspoons

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Tells more of a story about Dumbarnie than St Andrews - which by the way doesn't require mats in March

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Been a couple of years since I was there (and it wasn't for golf) but I'd echo the Wirral as an option. Decent courses (wallasey, Royal Liverpool) and Hoylake itself is a cracking little night out.

D

Deleted member 21258

I wouldn't do Saunton at that early in the year(yeah it can rains alot at times in the year) or Southport(pretty cold and rain) at that time of year, if you want to play percentages with regards to weather, whether that is rain or cold, then Norfolk area is great.

Remember trying to play Formby/S&A/Hillside on winter days one year, so to access the reduced rates(I live 'fairly close', I was flexible on day, but was after still, dry days. Gave up in the end and played them on fairly still frosty/cold days, due to winds, rain or hard frosts all the time, it was like they never stopped in that area.:ROFLMAO:

Useful website is here, to compare temp/rain falls/how many days it rains and so on :-

Climate and average monthly weather in Southport (Merseyside), United Kingdom (weather-and-climate.com)

Climate and average monthly weather in Barnstaple (Devon), United Kingdom (weather-and-climate.com)

Climate and average monthly weather in St Andrews (Fife), United Kingdom (weather-and-climate.com)

Climate and average monthly weather in Great Yarmouth (Norfolk), United Kingdom (weather-and-climate.com)

Have a great trip MT.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Get yourself down to China Fleet, great accomm, quick ride into Plymouth for night life and along with a good on site course you have a good half dozen within a 40 min drive, most with good drainage and that’s without doing St Mellion.