Golf travel luggage

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a travel case for my clubs as I've taking them on a few long haul trips lately and have one coming up to Australia next week. Previously I've just put the rain cover on my carry bag to close my clubs in and haven't had any problems (other than the legs on my stand becoming a bit wonky), but I've noticed a few airlines insisting on proper golf travel luggage lately.

In looking around, and what I see others using at airports everyone seems to use heshen/fabric ones e.g. the Nike ones on the various online shops. These don't seem to actually provide all that much protection against pressure, e.g. if a few suitcases are dumped on top of clubs in loading a plane. The only "hardshell" plastic one I can find is the Big Max I-Guard Travel Case on the Online Golf site for £130. Has anyone bought this or got any thoughts on how this might stack up against the usual fabric bags?

Cheers, Oldmate.

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There was a thread on here a little while back about someone asking the best way to protect their clubs when flying. Have a search for threads containing 'travel bags' , I'm sure there is loads of advice in the past threads.

EYG

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hard shell ones are a bit unwieldy. There are a range of covers made by Club Glove, including branded covers for quite a few manufacturers, and they are great covers. I tend to pack a towel around the heads on the way out, and pack some laundry around the heads on the way back. I don't use a stiff arm.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I have a cheap soft one from AG which works fine; I don't do a lot of foreign travel with golf clubs so an expensive one wasn't justified. Either use a Club Glove stiff arm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-Glove-Stiff-Arm-Protector/dp/B0015RZCZK

or a broom handle or two 2" longer than your driver, take a couple of towels and wrap them round your iron heads under the rain cover or use an Izzo Protect Air

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Izzo-ProtectAir-Inflatable-Golf-Club-Protection-New-in-Box-MSRP-39-95-/281385914977

and you're done.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Put a post up in the 'Sale/Wanted' section,i did few months ago and had quite a few offers and eventually bought a brand new Srixon travel bag from a forum member and at a good price.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have a cheap soft one from AG which works fine; I don't do a lot of foreign travel with golf clubs so an expensive one wasn't justified. Either use a Club Glove stiff arm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-Glove-Stiff-Arm-Protector/dp/B0015RZCZK

or a broom handle or two 2" longer than your driver, take a couple of towels and wrap them round your iron heads under the rain cover or use an Izzo Protect Air

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Izzo-ProtectAir-Inflatable-Golf-Club-Protection-New-in-Box-MSRP-39-95-/281385914977

and you're done.
Ha Ha Ha Golf club condoms- whatever next:rofl:

My advice dont get a hard case, the thick canvas ones are easiest to store where you go and when you're home (its not something you're doing everyweek now is it)

I wrap towels around the woods head and shafts, and a towel 'snaking' its way around the iron heads. stick a few other bits of clothing in beside the bag for 'cushioning' and make sure the cover has holes in the zip pulls to stick a small padlock on.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv got a srixon one that's been on about 15 trips to Europe and America. Never had an issue with it, was fairly cheap aswell. I turn all the irons upside down in the bag then pack round about the head/shaft of the woods with bubble wrap.
Aren't the solid cases a bit heavy???

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv got a srixon one that's been on about 15 trips to Europe and America. Never had an issue with it, was fairly cheap aswell. I turn all the irons upside down in the bag then pack round about the head/shaft of the woods with bubble wrap.
Aren't the solid cases a bit heavy???

That is something I'm a bit worried about. Contrary to most of the advice on here, I've gone for a hard case one on amazon for about £70. It says on there that it weighs 7kg. I'm flying Malaysian on my next trip and their website says they want a liability waiver for anything other than a hard case (which doesn't bother me) and that the max is 15kgs. I think that I'll be safe as will just buy balls while away and won't have anything else in my bag - shoes etc can go in my suitcase.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it's available still I got a Wilson Deep Red travel (if you are going to get uptight about that label then more fool you) case for £59 it has a padded top section and a solid spine 2/3rds from the bottom and hard base. Very neat and tidy and a thing of envy for mates when we fly off somewhere because it doesn't sag in the middle, the boss put £700!!! of La Prairie make-up for his wife, bought on the way out in it without any qualms for the trip home.
If you can track one down it will be worth the pennies spent!

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is something I'm a bit worried about. Contrary to most of the advice on here, I've gone for a hard case one on amazon for about £70. It says on there that it weighs 7kg. I'm flying Malaysian on my next trip and their website says they want a liability waiver for anything other than a hard case (which doesn't bother me) and that the max is 15kgs. I think that I'll be safe as will just buy balls while away and won't have anything else in my bag - shoes etc can go in my suitcase.
I can't remember exactly but I'm sure my clubs in a normal stand bag, with everything in it, balls tees etc weighs around 11kg, then you have the weight of the bag itself to include.
All airlines have that "get out" clause about it being a hardcase. Golf club insurance is a very dodgy area when it comes to airlines as they all pass the buck about between them.