Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First medal of the year tomorrow and I had to put myself on the reserve list as it was full when I got round to booking in for it. Just received an email telling me that I’m off the reserve list and I’ve got a mid-morning time…in fact by coincidence I’ve got what for me is a normal Saturday tee time. 👍😀

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
10th consecutive round without losing a ball. A new record for me.
Somehow I managed this back in 2017 when I was off around 22. It was a Wilson DX2, and it bit the dust when it effectively cracked in half on a wedge shot on round number 11. I kept the ball, still have it somewhere. :LOL:

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I retired two today that were looking very tired but found two quality ones, so all is well in the Pants bag (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Every year the medal immediately prior to The Masters has running alongside it a comp called our Masters Medal, for which entry is limited to those who won a medal the previous year. I’ve got an invite. I did not know why as I could not recall winning a medal. On asking why I was gently reminded that I won Div 1 of the April Medal last year. How could I forget…well I had…must be an age thing. But nice 😊

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
An ad hoc solo quick 9 before the rain came in this afternoon. Accompanied by my 7 year old son who had never stepped foot on a golf course before or shown any interest whatsoever. He was tasked with ball spotting, a role that he fulfilled with gusto, marching off the tee with purpose walking to the spot with unerring accuracy, he was delighted to find three golf balls as we searched for an errant drive. His encouragement and astonishment watching his 14hc Dad strike the ball made me feel like a pga pro. He read putts remarkably well explaining what he thought would happen. I took a child’s putter with me and he dealt with anything within gimmie range. On the drive home he pondered the afternoon and asked “when can I go golfing with you again Dad?” 😊
Brought a little tear - reminded me of when I was 7 with my dad.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I know that lots of clubs have, and have had, star members who have made it in the game, but my club hasn’t had anyone who has made any great impact…however that may be about to change in the coming few years with ‘our Lottie’.

Having won the British Girls Amateur Open at Carnoustie last year she is really making her mark as a freshman for Florida State Uni in college golf. Her stats are something else. 8 tournaments since going to FSU and 7 individual top 10s.

We are very proud of her achievements to date and keep our fingers crossed that all keeps going as well as it has so far👍

https://seminoles.com/sports/w-golf/

btw…if you follow the link above, the interview with the FSU Women’s Golf head coach Amy Bond is also interesting for ‘Lottie fans’, and any looking for a ‘fun’ team competition format.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Popped to home club this morning before work for a bit of practice
Sun was just up and unusually not much wind, temp was passing 27 and the range area was nearly empty, practice balls just swapped out so nice new ones, hit 50 balls off grass and getting some good distance with 8I and found the 5I going a bit higher ball flight than normal, then round to the short game area for 25 minutes of chipping with the GW and no one else using that area which is kinda criminal since it a great facility, then 20 minutes putting practice on the freshly cut practice green (there’s two large greens to choose from which I tend to alternate, one has slope the other is flatter, it was slopey one’s turn today) then back home before 8 to get ready for work

Monthly comp tomorrow & feeling positive… you can all guess what’s gonna happen...

sunshine

Visit site
Choices,

Tomorrow, do I play Newport in the morning. Weather looks decent, but it'll be a bit soggy under foot. Or, do I drive to Saunton, greater chance of rain, but nice firm fairways....

That’s an easy choice. Don’t forget your passport for the border crossing. 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bear with me as there's a bit of a backstory. A few weeks ago I accidentally entered the 'mixed' foursomes cup with my (male)mate, thinking mixed meant men or women optional - but I received an email saying apologies, it's intended to be one male one female in the teams. Gen manager asked me if I'd be willing to stay involved anyway and he'd find me a partner, so I said sure, why not.

There's a lot of very high handicap women in the club - not sure if they're likely to enter the foursomes cup, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned that foursomes with a 45 handicapper wouldn't be the most fun in the world. Needn't have worried - got the email today saying I've been partnered up with the future club captain who I believe is also the lowest female handicapper in the club at 14.9. GM even branded us his favourites to win it! And it's a board comp. Very much looking forward to it now.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Bear with me as there's a bit of a backstory. A few weeks ago I accidentally entered the 'mixed' foursomes cup with my (male)mate, thinking mixed meant men or women optional - but I received an email saying apologies, it's intended to be one male one female in the teams. Gen manager asked me if I'd be willing to stay involved anyway and he'd find me a partner, so I said sure, why not.

There's a lot of very high handicap women in the club - not sure if they're likely to enter the foursomes cup, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned that foursomes with a 45 handicapper wouldn't be the most fun in the world. Needn't have worried - got the email today saying I've been partnered up with the future club captain who I believe is also the lowest female handicapper in the club at 14.9. GM even branded us his favourites to win it! And it's a board comp. Very much looking forward to it now.
So you will be playing a round with someone else's wife?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I have played a lot of mixed golf over the years, and mixed foursomes is something else - well I do enjoy it. My experience is that I must adopt a rather different attitude when playing with a very high handicapper lady, though not that different from the high handicapper gents. The difference I find is their expectation of you.

However…playing with a half decent lady such as your partner can be different as with her handicap you may well be playing with one of the best ladies in the club…and she may expect to do rather well…we’ll that’s my experience…and with that comes additional pressure. It depends on how the lady views herself… But put that aside and enjoy. It’s different but its enjoyable.

Teebs

Visit site
Played yesterday and had a tee-time directly behind an all female 4 ball, average age around 70.

Took them 20 minutes to tee-off, find their balls, clean them, place their mat on the ground, place the ball, hit the ball, pick the mat up, clean the mat, pop the mat away and start walking.

We teed off thinking the worst, but then, they waved us through, pointed out where both our balls were and let us carry on without fuss.

Top marks for recognising you're going to hold up a 2-ball. :)

We teed off on the 5th hole and they'd only just reached the 3rd tee. o_O

Managed a +2 gross front 9, but more importantly started to roll the ball better on the greens including a 8ft par sand-save on #3 and a lovely 10ft on #9.