Golf/spa weekend

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Evening all

Myself and a friend are looking at treating ourselves/other halves to a weekend away at the end of August with golf for the fellas and spa days for the missuses. I had looked quite seriously at Slaley Hall and sourced a good deal at the hotel for two nights, two rounds of golf, dinner and spa treatments for about £150 per person, which is a great price. I'm not sure that Slaley is particularly well-regarded, however, and the Q Hotels/De Vere hotels come in for a panning on TripAdvisor and the like. I had looked at Longhirst Hall for the golf but there are no nice spa hotels local to the course.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel with spa facilities and a decent golf course which would be around £80-£100 per room per night and within a four hour drive of Sheffield? Or is Slaley, at that price, as good as it'll get?

D

Deleted member 17920

belton Woods at Grantham.

Forest pines at Scunthorpe

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Don't know about prices but Rockcliffe Hall springs to mind. If you ring them they'll usually do a reasonable deal. Or Wynyard Hall, and I'll sign you into the golf - the Hall might have a tie in for the golf anyway.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't know about prices but Rockcliffe Hall springs to mind. If you ring them they'll usually do a reasonable deal. Or Wynyard Hall, and I'll sign you into the golf - the Hall might have a tie in for the golf anyway.

Thanks Hobbit. Looks stunning - absolutely so - but prices start at £270 per night excluding golf or treatments so I'm afraid I'll have to give that one a miss!

belton Woods at Grantham.

Forest pines at Scunthorpe

Thanks LQ. Both are Q Hotels which seem to suffer from the same, if not worse, levels of dissatisfaction amongst TripAdvisor reviewers. It's important, you see, that the girls at least think part of this trip is for them so the hotel has to be up to scratch, even if the boys' golf isn't!

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite a few in the North West, only a relatively short drive away.... My faves are:

Carden Park Chester (2courses)
Formby Hall ( 1 course and a top par 3 course)
Portal (2 courses)

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site

Quite a few in the North West, only a relatively short drive away.... My faves are:

Carden Park Chester (2courses)
Formby Hall ( 1 course and a top par 3 course)
Portal (2 courses)

Thanks Karl. Carden Park and Portal both come in at a significantly more expensive price without any spa/golf additions. Formby Hall is unfortunately booked up on our available dates.

It's all making Slaley look a more attractive proposition. Anyone here with any comments on Slaley/the Hunting?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It's all making Slaley look a more attractive proposition. Anyone here with any comments on Slaley/the Hunting?

Hadn't read the dates in your original post. That's a cracking deal at Slaley for that time of the year. Played the courses on winter deals and they hold the water in places, but great layouts. Summer will be excellent. However, bar prices are extortionately extortionate. Two lagers and two bacon butties = £20.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Possibly a bit far, but check out Bowood. Great course, can't comment on the spa.
other halves can also look round the house and gardens while you are playing.
we do Barnsley to Chippenham regularly to visit family and takes about 3 1/2 hours

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Been to forest Pines 3 times now and no complaints whatsoever. Well the beer is a bit pricey, but it is in most places nowadays. Hotel seemed fine to me.

Having also been to slaley I'd say forest Pines is a better golf experience.

And what about Woodhall Spa?

Last edited:

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Karl. Carden Park and Portal both come in at a significantly more expensive price without any spa/golf additions. Formby Hall is unfortunately booked up on our available dates.

Mere is a good shout! Great course! Other options could be Mottram Hall and Tytherington both out Macclesfield way. With Carden Park, it's always worth ringing them up as their offers change daily and their website isn't always updated...

D

Deleted member 17920

Been to forest Pines 3 times now and no complaints whatsoever. Well the beer is a bit pricey, but it is in most places nowadays. Hotel seemed fine to me.

Having also been to slaley I'd say forest Pines is a better golf experience.

And what about Woodhall Spa?
No spa for the wives. There are massive plans for a spa and its about 18 months away and it will be very good.

scottbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Possibly a bit far, but check out Bowood. Great course, can't comment on the spa.
other halves can also look round the house and gardens while you are playing.
we do Barnsley to Chippenham regularly to visit family and takes about 3 1/2 hours

A second from me. Good all round facilities, and easily within 4 hours of Sheffield by car.

Astraeus

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks all for the very helpful input.

The Mere looks absolutely spot-on for what we are after but prices start at £190 per night excluding spa/golf, almost twice what Slaley Hall would cost. Bowood Hall is even more, starting at £330 per night for a golf/spa package excluding dinner. I reckon for our first trip, Slaley Hall might be the best option going. If we like the idea enough, we'll upgrade to one of the others on a subsequent trip.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
What's Hollins Hall like? I've got a voucher for it so surprised its not been mentioned and its on the door step?

Anyone played it and stayed?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
hellidon lakes offers all your asking for along with a ten pin bowling alley, part of the Q-Hotel chain nestled in the northants countryside,

played there today and the course was in good condition