Golf Shoes

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been playing quite a bit recently, and the most uncomfortable thing in my "bag" is my old golf shoes, which I've had for about 10 years now!

What do people here look for in their shoes and where do you grab them front for a good deal (the pro shops don't seem the best idea for footwear)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I've been playing quite a bit recently, and the most uncomfortable thing in my "bag" is my old golf shoes, which I've had for about 10 years now!

What do people here look for in their shoes and where do you grab them front for a good deal (the pro shops don't seem the best idea for footwear)

I wear Nike and generally what til they have their 20/30% off sale items and pick up the previous top models for £50/60.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd personally be looking at either the Nike 'Lunar' sole (I have two pairs of Nike), the Adidas Boost sole, or a pair of Footjoy shoes or Ecco shoes. All very comfortable, all very good.

If you're wanting extra comfort, go spikeless, but I've heard they're not that good in winter weather. I personally have a pair of spiked, and a pair of spikeless, but have never tried the spikeless in winter.

As for sales, just wait for one of the current models to be 'outgoing', the Nike Lunar Command 2 for instance. Can you usually find good deals.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Knowing the size I want, I buy Ecco Biom hybrids (spikeless) when the discounts are around, last pair were gortex ones with 50% off.
Having worn spikeless for the last 3 years all year round, I would say try them and ignore all who say they're no good in the winter. I find having a full sole of mini studs actually makes them grippier than any of my old studded shoes and if on the very rare occaision they have slipped I know my studded ones would have been sliiping as well.
They also clean and clear a lot easier, and clog less than studs:)

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Knowing the size I want, I buy Ecco Biom hybrids (spikeless) when the discounts are around, last pair were gortex ones with 50% off.
Having worn spikeless for the last 3 years all year round, I would say try them and ignore all who say they're no good in the winter. I find having a full sole of mini studs actually makes them grippier than any of my old studded shoes and if on the very rare occaision they have slipped I know my studded ones would have been sliiping as well.

Fully agree with this I have the same shoes which are fully waterproof and no issue with grip. Got mine from the Ecco website with 50 percent off.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The best golf shoes i have tried recently are the sketchers go golf pro 2. Waterproof, comfy, and toasty too. Not sure i would wear them in the summer though. Too toasty.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I never thought I'd say this but the Adidas Powerboost Boa I got this year are really comfortable. Previously Adidas were always too tight for me but the Wide version of these were just right. I have also head good things of the Skechers and will give them a try sometimes. Lots of people love Ecco but I never find them comfortable for myself after trying a couple of pairs.
They are such a personal thing that you need to go and try them on for yourself to make sure.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

you can't go far wrong with Ecco if they are the right fit for your feet. TBH i don't think id buy any other brand now. Bargains aplenty esp this time of year. with new models coming out in spring.

I've also found that the spikeless are great for when its frosty. I tend to always wear metal spikes over winter and over Christmas those were clogging up with ice when the course was frozen. So before every shot i was having to clear the ice off the spikes. two of my PP had spike less on and neither had this problem. so now wear the same if its frosty

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
+ 1 for these - use to wear Ecco - found them not wide enough and had to go up half a size and expensive

Also found them a better fit than FJ - I have a summer pair also

The best golf shoes i have tried recently are the sketchers go golf pro 2. Waterproof, comfy, and toasty too. Not sure i would wear them in the summer though. Too toasty.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
agree if you play a flattish course but if like me your course has some severe slopes get spiked shoes as spikeless are dangerous in wet conditions.
Footjoy contour are very good medium priced shoes.
FootJoy Pro SL spikeless are like your old slippers so comfy but ££££££

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
completely pointless thread imo. your just going to get a list of just about every shoe on the market.

your feet are different to every one else's. it's likely that we find different shoes comfortable. the only way is to try some on and take a gamble.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want to take a gamble without spending loads of dosh, look at Crivit shoes on ebay (or in Lidl or Aldi if they have them). I am on my second pair with another pair in the wardrobe ready for when I find these are no longer as comfortable as when I first bought them.

I very rarely keep any shoes longer than 2 years. I buy cheap knowing I would sooner have 5 pairs of cheap shoes than one pair of expensive shoes.

My previous choice has always been Hi tech.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Skechers seem to be going hard at a piece of the market and seen a few pairs at a local range. Not bad but not my cup of tea style wise. I wonder what FJ and Adidas (preferred makes for me) will bring out for 2018. Fit has to be paramount over and above any colour or style considerations

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
completely pointless thread imo. your just going to get a list of just about every shoe on the market.

your feet are different to every one else's. it's likely that we find different shoes comfortable. the only way is to try some on and take a gamble.

Yeah quite pointless, i'm super surprised at the number of replies!

The quotes speaking for sketches have spoken to me the most, didn't even think they did golf shoes (which shows what I know)! Thanks guys :)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

The quotes speaking for sketches have spoken to me the most, didn't even think they did golf shoes (which shows what I know)! Thanks guys :)

Most threads on here are pointless tbh.

I know a fair number of people who have Skechers shoes and rave about them, Im likely to get some myself tbh. Bought a pair of their running shoes earlier this year for Disney and they were so comfortable.

Had Pro SL and had to send them back as leather cracked, comfortable but crap quality (acknowledged by FJ in my conversations with them).

Adidas Boost you can get cheap if you buy previous years versions or in sale, again very comfortable but Adidas shoes aren't the best quality so only last a couple of years or so. I've a couple of pairs of these, with my shocking knees they are probably the comfiest I've found.

Ecco - tried them a couple of times but they mustn't suit my feet as I find them quite uncomfortable.

Sort of proves the point about everyones feet being different I guess :)

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
The pair that you have now you’ve had for 10 years? What sort are they and where can I get some?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

i wasn't having a stab. just saying that buying shoes on recommendation is like buying a certain brand of beer because your friend likes it. you might hate it.

for what its worth i have a pair of sketchers and they are ok

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
@above didn't mean it to sound like I thought you were, I was sort of agreeing, its genuinely surprised me that its been helpful :)

I can share that they are a pair of footjoys, "AQL" in brown :) 10 years is a guess.

Their life has been 2/3 rounds a huge hiatus then about half a year this year so... they haven't exactly shown wear resistance :p just have aged well.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

I don't think it's totally pointless. I would ALWAYS advocate try before you buy for golf shoes but there is such a large selection on the market that by getting advice on here at least it will help the OP to narrow it down a bit. I thought the Footjoy DNA where comfy (which they are) but too narrow at the front for me to the end result that I have black toenails on the fourth toe of each foot.

It's the same for all things these days, too much choice and too befuddling. I'm looking for a new Smart TV and I always research before I buy. My God! There is such a selection that I need to look at reviews, specs, etc. and then go to look at them before I buy.

Last edited:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote for nikes. Got my first par last year, lunar vapor and honestly wont look at anything else now. First round wearing them was a pleasure, no rubbin, no blisters, just really comfotable and they just get better the more you wear them. Will be getting another pair when theyre on cheap and just rotate to make them last longer.