Golf shoes: Leather v Synthetic

Shoe preference...

• Leather all day long I love buffing my shoes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Synthetic for me cool, comfy & clean easy

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I swing both ways so I'm going to get splinters on this one...

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I saw it happen in football and at first I stayed true to tradition. Adidas Copa Mundials and Puma Kings were my favourites. Nothing like giving your leather boots a good scrub after a game. Stuffing them full of newspaper to aid the drying out process. Then using high quality leather cream / polish and giving them a good shine. Then synthetic boots came out. Quick wipe with a baby wipe job done. Lighter especially in the wet which made me quicker and nimbler it was a no brainer.

And so to golf shoes. I'm a confessed Footjoy fan boy. From my DryJoys to XPS-1 to Hyperflex. Now the leather shoes I've owned look amazing when new. But over time I crease the leather and they never look the same again. I guess I need a Homer sized collection to ease the wear and tear. Nothing looks smarter than a nice pair of Icons but... they are a pain to keep spotlessly clean especially if you play regularly and the weather's not great.

Now admittedly the criss cross on the hyperflex is a bit of a pain but a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, baby wipe and job done. They look cool, are more comfy but they are not as smart IMHO as leather shoes.

So I'm just curious to know what's your preference and views on this?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't think either has the life expectancy I'd like but I go for synthetic more often purely for the comfort

edit: who knew, one vote can make a difference :D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Leather in summer
Synthetic (Greenjoys) in winter

this.

Saw these on online golf half price yesterday, so tempted
266926-brown.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
All the shoes i have at present are leather (ecco) what i do find strange is that someone has not come up with a material that would replace and be an improvement on leather.

Tiger

Money List Winner
All the shoes i have at present are leather (ecco) what i do find strange is that someone has not come up with a material that would replace and be an improvement on leather.

That's a tough ask though. As a natural product it is breathable, durable, waterproof and with the aid of a bit of polish very smart. I think it'd be difficult and costly to replicate let alone improve...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All mine are leather. I just do the basics regarding caring for the leather and making sure they get a good dose of dubbing and a polish every few wears. Even the ones I wear frequently, usually over the winter and which are five-seven years old are still going strong

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw it happen in football and at first I stayed true to tradition. Adidas Copa Mundials and Puma Kings were my favourites. Nothing like giving your leather boots a good scrub after a game. Stuffing them full of newspaper to aid the drying out process. Then using high quality leather cream / polish and giving them a good shine. Then synthetic boots came out. Quick wipe with a baby wipe job done. Lighter especially in the wet which made me quicker and nimbler it was a no brainer.

And so to golf shoes. I'm a confessed Footjoy fan boy. From my DryJoys to XPS-1 to Hyperflex. Now the leather shoes I've owned look amazing when new. But over time I crease the leather and they never look the same again. I guess I need a Homer sized collection to ease the wear and tear. Nothing looks smarter than a nice pair of Icons but... they are a pain to keep spotlessly clean especially if you play regularly and the weather's not great.

Now admittedly the criss cross on the hyperflex is a bit of a pain but a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, baby wipe and job done. They look cool, are more comfy but they are not as smart IMHO as leather shoes.

So I'm just curious to know what's your preference and views on this?

I thought it was just me that did that with football boots. 😀😀
Like that it was puma kings and for a finish it was the original 2nd generation adidas predators. But then the nike mercurial vapours. I was very fast for a centre back but these things were like strapping a turbo to my ass.. 😀😀😀

I got a pair of Adidas pure 360 Ltd for Christmas in white and they haven't seen daylight yet. Due to weather. 😯
Their really traditional looking and have a nice round toebox. Nice as I have a wide foot.
But 3 weeks ago I had to splash out on a new pair of shoes as my FJ Contours were letting in wather and just looked worse for wear due to very bad creasing.

So I bought a pair of adidas adipower boost in black synthetic leather. Very light very waterproof and very comfortable. And even after 6 rounds that look like New still. No creasing and a quick wipe with a sponge and warm water an their good as new.

I'm tempted to go back to the shop and change the leather ones I got for Christmas for a white pair of the adipower boost.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I prefer leather, but have recently bought 2 pairs of FJ Hyperflex (at a bargain price!) for spring and summer to alternate with my AWD casuals. Looking forward to wearing them regularly but not looking forward to cleaning them if/when they get caked with mud!

I'll probably look to get some leather/synthetic leather shoes for next winter as I don't think the Nike Lunar Controls will do another winter as bad as this one. I would wear the Oakleys I bought in October, but each time I wear them on course I get bad blisters, which is a shame as they're great shoes, very comfortable except the blisters! They're fine to wear at the range though...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear 3 different types of shoes (not all at once) footjoy contours are my staple shoe. The winter one and the average round. Good all rounder. Next I have my footjoy freestyle (beautiful shoe) this is for the majority of the season for events and just general games. Finally I got a pair of calloways from Costco that are spikeless for the summer. May start wearing them to the range to get a feel for the shoe but at £45 they seemed a snap (plus was my bday present from the Mrs) for my summer event shoe.

All 3 are going on my society "tour" and I'll decide on the day what I wear. Considering it's all buggies due to the sheer length of the course it will most likely be the calloways all the time just to be less of a faff

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Leather all day for me.

I have 2 pair of Ecco and 3 pair of Footjoy. All leather, all excellent and fit great.

I have 1 pair of Adidas Adizero that I got when Sports Direct knocked them out at £13/pair.

That God I only paid £13. They're crap!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Synthetic for me. I'm a meat eater but don't see the precious need for a coo to die for me to wear their hide on my feet while playing golf.
There are too many pluses for synthetic to require leather at all.

And29

Head Pro
Visit site
Leather all day for me.

I have 2 pair of Ecco and 3 pair of Footjoy. All leather, all excellent and fit great.

I have 1 pair of Adidas Adizero that I got when Sports Direct knocked them out at £13/pair.

That God I only paid £13. They're crap!

yeah my adizeros have feel apart

Tiger

Money List Winner
Kid we were obviously cut from the same cloth on the footy boot front 😂😂😂

I might need to try a pair of Eccos heard lots of good things about them. It's interesting that the vote is showing a preference for leather over synthetic. I wonder if it's the smell. Can't beat the waft of a brand new leather shoe 😉👍

Tiger

Money List Winner
All mine are leather. I just do the basics regarding caring for the leather and making sure they get a good dose of dubbing and a polish every few wears. Even the ones I wear frequently, usually over the winter and which are five-seven years old are still going strong

Homer when you say they are going strong - how much creasing do you have. A little bit of me wonders if I need to look at different style golf shoe... I'm thinking a leather brogue style would crease less due to the stitching across the toe...