Golf shaft flex and weight

sallan2021

Visit site
Hi guys just joined the forum and looking for some advice I have regular flex irons and love them and able to get them airborne no problem.
My hybrid 3 Wood and driver are all stiff and I've never been good with them and can't get them airborne.
I have now been told by 3 pros now that I need to go for regular in my woods.
I have now tried out a new driver regular shaft and hit it well and was about to purchase it tomorrow but I have just came home and realised it is the same weight as my stiff driver I have already.
Does that then mean my old driver and one I'm about to buy are both the same flex as they are same weight or is there still a difference as one is regular and one is stiff.

Thanks
Steven

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi guys just joined the forum and looking for some advice I have regular flex irons and love them and able to get them airborne no problem.
My hybrid 3 Wood and driver are all stiff and I've never been good with them and can't get them airborne.
I have now been told by 3 pros now that I need to go for regular in my woods.
I have now tried out a new driver regular shaft and hit it well and was about to purchase it tomorrow but I have just came home and realised it is the same weight as my stiff driver I have already.
Does that then mean my old driver and one I'm about to buy are both the same flex as they are same weight or is there still a difference as one is regular and one is stiff.

Thanks
Steven
The problem with shafts is there is no industry standard.
One OEM reg is stiffer than another’s stiff.
Minefield really.
Weight dosnt mean stiffer, you can get a 55g stiff and a 75g reg.
But if you have tried the new driver and hit it well I would not worry about it.

sallan2021

Visit site
The problem with shafts is there is no industry standard.
One OEM reg is stiffer than another’s stiff.
Minefield really.
Weight dosnt mean stiffer, you can get a 55g stiff and a 75g reg.
But if you have tried the new driver and hit it well I would not worry about it.

Hi thanks for reply.

Can I just ask if I look at 2 shafts both regular and stiff different brands and both are 70 grams in weight does that mean they are actually the same flex? And if not then what makes them different.

Thanks

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi thanks for reply.

Can I just ask if I look at 2 shafts both regular and stiff different brands and both are 70 grams in weight does that mean they are actually the same flex? And if not then what makes them different.

Thanks
The weight makes no difference.
In the past heavy meant stiffer but that’s not the case anymore.
The bend profiles of the shafts will be different.
This loads and unloads the shaft , it’s a science now and not easy to explain.
Have a look on YouTube there is some very good videos there that explains this

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
In very simple terms.

The weight makes no difference to the flex. 70g is quite heavy for a driver shaft.

Flex is not universal across brands, or even shaft type within a brand.

Weight is every bit as important as flex is.

Go somewhere to get properly fit if buying new.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Bim Guy

Simply;- Weight of the shaft is irrelevant to the shaft flex.

If you are struggling to get the ball airborne what is important is the design of the shaft, some shafts are designed to keep the ball low and others keep it high.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It's all in the kickpoint. The lower the kickpoint, the higher the launch. A bit like fishing rods. They may look and weigh the same, but will have different "actions"