Golf set for beginner.

Samc

Visit site
I've been playing for 3 weeks now with a friends x22 tour clubs and I'm really getting into the sport and starting to get a lot more consistent and wanting to purchase a set for myself.
I have around £850 to spend clubs and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I've been looking at G30 irons and G15 wood and driver anyone have any experience with them or know how friendly they would be to a rank beginner? Thanks.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow. Nice budget for a first set.

I'll save Homer coming on and recommending lessons- most sane human beings know that these are a good starting point.

To address your point- Any of Ping's G ranges are as forgiving as they come. As a beginner, do be careful when buying online- there's a lot of fakes out there. Can normally check against serial numbers online.

You could do worse that a set of G15s through the bag (Driver, 3 wood, couple of hybrids instead of long irons, 6-SW and a putter that you like the look of).

Samc

Visit site
Yeh, I have just arranged a lesson so would really like to get a set sorted before then.
I'm looking to buy off Golf Bidder, they seem pretty reputable?
Thanks for the response and is there anything to look out for when buying a putter? Are certain ones more beginner friendly?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome along

even though you only been playing for a short time & goin to buy used clubs - nothin wrong with that - would be worthwhile goin to get fit so you then got an idea what ballpark specs the used irons should be

or at least go on the ping website & do the static fit - height - wrist to floor - so you got an idea what color code you need to be looking for - if that's not been done already that is

Samc

Visit site
Cheers,
No I haven't. I have been using standard sized clubs and they do seem just right. (I am 6"2 with roughly a 30" reach and roughly a 75" span. If that means anything to you). If I ordered the clubs could they be made to measure after?

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers,
No I haven't. I have been using standard sized clubs and they do seem just right. (I am 6"2 with roughly a 30" reach and roughly a 75" span. If that means anything to you). If I ordered the clubs could they be made to measure after?

at 6' 2" you could possibly be of a height (depending on the measurement of the wrist to floor - by that middle of the wrist crease at base of the thumb to floor when standing upright arms by the sides -so someone else will have to make that measurement) that means you need to have iron shafts a tad longer than standard

too short a shaft length will compromise set-up posture (& set-up posture is real important) which then in turn can compromise the motion you make - for sure worth doing that before you part with any money

if buying new clubs & you go to try & get a fitting - then they would be made to order

if buying used but know your specs then you would know whether 'standard' length irons are best for you o7 not so would have the spec to do a search at whatever site you looking to buy used from

would wait for at least one lesson with the Pro then hopefully he can point you in the right direction spec wise - even better if he's a teaching Pro who also fits clubs - but either way he would know

here's a website that would give you a ballpark notion of whether standard length is what you should be looking for
there's is a similar version on the ping website

http://www.customgolfstop.com/CustomFitting.htm

just because you are 6' 2" doesn't immediately mean you need longer than standard though with a reach of 30" it's possible you do

i'm a fraction over 6' 2" and have a tad longer than standard length in iron shafts - depends a bunch on that wrist to floor measurement - this all has a big bearing on posture spine angle at set-up

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You are heading in a good direction. Yes golf bidder is a little expensive but you can be reassured you are getting the real deal. Sticking with Ping G range is also a clever starting point. Good clubs for beginners and better players so can do you for some time. I would be looking for driver/woods a little newer than G15. At your budget this should be doable.

As others have noted do get an idea of fitting before buying. Ping can adjust your irons for next to nothing but woods not so easy or cheap. Fitting will indicate a suitable shaft flex for example

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Get yourself a tube of Autosol or any other metal polish and those irons will look brand new after a good clean and some elbow grease! It will fill you with confidence next time you step out with your shiny new sticks!!

D

Deleted member 1418

Doesn't matter if you're a beginner, get fitted for your sticks as this will also be a great help.

One of my mates works at Golfbidder and like others have said, you may pay a bit extra but you know you'll be buying from a reputable dealer.

I would suggest with your budget saving the majority of this for a better set of clubs when you've improved and which you'll know will last you a good few years.