Golf Pride or Lampkin

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just looking for a little guidance here folks.

I've just visited the Lamkin website and completed their online fitting.

Turns out I have:

Medium hands (which I knew)
Measurement 1 (Hand size) 8"
Measurement 2 (Longest finger 3.1/4")

This, according to their fitting service says I need a standard mens grip, with 2 additional layers of tape.

Forgive me for being think but is this 2 layers of tape total or 3 layers (1 standard + 2 additional)?

Any advise welcome :thup:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is if it doesn't feel right then you can get the grips blown off and try two layers of tape. (or four)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth, when i was fitted at AG they said exactly the same to me, 1+2 layers for an 8 inch hand. need to get my irons done the same.. the driver feels awesome.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Remember that their suggestion is based on typical hand measurements and some sort of average swing.

I would also factor into the equation how you grip and swing the club, and also what you are used to. A general rule of thumb is that thicker grips tend to quieten down the hands and wrist action. If you are going quite a bit thicker than you are used to, you may get quite a different feel and possibly find that releasing the hands is not as easy.

Who knows, that might be a good thing, but it's worth thinking about. You could maybe have a quick check with your pro to see if he thinks that thicker grips will have much effect, based on his knowledge of your action?

Sorry if that just twists you melon man. Sometimes too much information is not helpful :mad:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Remember that their suggestion is based on typical hand measurements and some sort of average swing.

I would also factor into the equation how you grip and swing the club, and also what you are used to. A general rule of thumb is that thicker grips tend to quieten down the hands and wrist action. If you are going quite a bit thicker than you are used to, you may get quite a different feel and possibly find that releasing the hands is not as easy.

Who knows, that might be a good thing, but it's worth thinking about. You could maybe have a quick check with your pro to see if he thinks that thicker grips will have much effect, based on his knowledge of your action?

Sorry if that just twists you melon man. Sometimes too much information is not helpful :mad:

To be honest Monty, I'd rather have too much info than too little, after all, I can always discount something that isn't relivant.

The point you make about the wrists is good. I'm not a wristy player to be honest, even when chipping I don't get handsy (......If thats even a word?). I don't know if that helps or hinders when choosing tape layers though???

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To be honest Monty, I'd rather have too much info than too little, after all, I can always discount something that isn't relivant.

The point you make about the wrists is good. I'm not a wristy player to be honest, even when chipping I don't get handsy (......If thats even a word?). I don't know if that helps or hinders when choosing tape layers though???

If you are not a "handsy" player (fine word by the way ;) ), thicker grips may not be an issue and may actually help you get a more solid feeling on the grip. Thicker grips when chipping would probably be good. It's the same the principle behind those massive jumbo and two thumb putter grips too... the thick grip quietens down the hands and wrists allowing a better pendulum stroke.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you are not a "handsy" player (fine word by the way ;) ), thicker grips may not be an issue and may actually help you get a more solid feeling on the grip. Thicker grips when chipping would probably be good. It's the same the principle behind those massive jumbo and two thumb putter grips too... the thick grip quietens down the hands and wrists allowing a better pendulum stroke.

Now you've said that, something has clicked.

I feel like I have to grip a little tighter to get the correct purchase on the grip. Maybe standard is to small?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something just occured to me.

Wouldn't building a grip up with 3 layers of tape effectivley make the grip mid-size?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree :mad:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
gareth,

according to AG, someone with an 8 inch hand requires standard mid size grips with + 2 layers (3 in total)

All clubs come standard with midsize unless custom fitted with something thats a different spec

MikeySQ

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just had my woods and wedges gripped with yellow and black multicompounds.. awesome so far , would definetly recomendd.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
gareth,

according to AG, someone with an 8 inch hand requires standard mid size grips with + 2 layers (3 in total)

All clubs come standard with midsize unless custom fitted with something thats a different spec

Just back from dropping my clubs off with the pro at the range.

He has a few examples fitted to clubs in stock. Tried the standard grip with 3 wraps of tape, didn't like it.

Tried a mid-size for a giggle, that felt like a cricket bat.

Tried one standard Lamkin Crossline grip and 1 layer of tape. Felt nice so went with that one. I pick them up tomorrow evening :D

I've also made the decision that I'm going to have a go at doing it myself next time. Seems simple enough :mad:

Another question. While there a chap asked if he could have his re-gripped, but with 2 extra layers under his left hand........... Why?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've also made the decision that I'm going to have a go at doing it myself next time. Seems simple enough :mad:

'tis very easy, just take your time.

Another question. While there a chap asked if he could have his re-gripped, but with 2 extra layers under his left hand........... Why?

'cos he likes the feel? A lot of folks get it done like that makes the grip feel more "even"

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Both I think, I have never done it but had a go with my mates who does it like that
free-scared-smileys-319.gif

;)

Shanks a lot!

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gonna get my irons regripped next month and i'm going for the Lamkin Crossline grips, have one on my driver and 5 wood, and I love the feel of them