Golf Petition to the Government

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Andy why is shutting courses an "error"

It was a policy decision based on a country entering a lockdown. Because we don't agree with it and golf would have found a way to make it work for us doesn't make it an error

It was a policy that could have been better thought through; actually it could have been thought through, but clearly it wasn't. I wouldn't disagree with it if it was based on science, but it's not. When you have the situation that currently exists on opposite sides of the River Wey in Wisley it is utterly farcical.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Indeed in my opinion. A 'government error' in respect of golf courses being open is, for me, of not quite the same importance as an 'error' that might irrevocably impact every individual in the UK for an unknown length of time. I see it quite reasonable to take a different stance on how each of such 'errors' are handled and reviewed by a government. But some might differ in that and see the two the same :)

Personally I'd prefer a Government that makes zero errors; removing one that is relatively simple to rectify, with very little effort, would get that closer to zero.

hombre_paulo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Does stopping golf reduce transmission rates? Its clear to even the most brain dead amongst us that the impact will be statistically insignificant at worst, and more than likely a zero. When government have no justification for their actions they absolutely need to be told to wind their necks in - hopefully the day is fast approaching where enough people turn around and say enough is enough.

This is the same for lots of activities banned under current lockdown rules. Its a farce. The government took the stance from the start that they would "follow the science", unfortunately what Whitty and Valance come up with is more akin to the ramblings of Mystic Meg. But the government have gone so hard on the "follow the science" mantra they cannot back out now. **** the lot of them.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Does stopping golf reduce transmission rates? Its clear to even the most brain dead amongst us that the impact will be statistically insignificant at worst, and more than likely a zero. When government have no justification for their actions they absolutely need to be told to wind their necks in - hopefully the day is fast approaching where enough people turn around and say enough is enough.

This is the same for lots of activities banned under current lockdown rules. Its a farce. The government took the stance from the start that they would "follow the science", unfortunately what Whitty and Valance come up with is more akin to the ramblings of Mystic Meg. But the government have gone so hard on the "follow the science" mantra they cannot back out now. **** the lot of them.

I've no issue with following the science, as the scientists, rather than the politicians, who will get us out of this :poop: storm.

But as far as I'm concerned in this case they are completely ignoring the science, which says that the danger of infection from playing golf is practically zero.

D

Deleted member 15344

Who exactly is going to tell the government to “wind their necks in” -

What do you think the people can do ?

The government are in place because that’s who people voted for- they are the ones we entrusted to make the choices for us - even if we don’t agree with those choices and think their wrong then all we can do is vote for someone different next time but that’s are limit

Do people want to see us being like US states where riots etc are happening because people don’t like the rules being made during a pretty unprecedented time for every single country

Can golf be played safely - yes I think it can but they decided that it’s best for the clubs to be closed for 4 weeks whilst they try and get a grip on the virus again - yes there are lots of grey areas and inconsistencies but until the end we won’t know if any rule was right or wrong and that’s the time to judge and when you can then make a choice on if you will back them again when the polls come around again

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
If anyone thinks Boris, the Chancellor, Home Sec etc. will be present at this debate they clearly have no idea how parliament works.

There is a reason it is happening on a Monday afternoon i.e. there will be hardly MP's present as Monday is usually the day they travel from their homes/constituencies to London ahead of their week's work in London. The government need pay no heed to anything that is said during the debate if they so choose.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
far more important stuff to debate, LIKE getting the fans back to sporting events (n):sleep:

Before the House debates International Men's Day this afternoon, the Minister for Sport is due to give a statement on the latest position re. financial support for Sport so he may may mention it then.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've no issue with following the science, as the scientists, rather than the politicians, who will get us out of this :poop: storm.

But as far as I'm concerned in this case they are completely ignoring the science, which says that the danger of infection from playing golf is practically zero.
Golfers say there is no chance of catching virus through golf, church officials say the same about church worship, pubs/restaurants say the same about hospitality, etc, etc, so where on earth are all these cases coming from??

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is the ongoing debate through all of this. Golf involves people meeting outside and being socially distanced so should be allowed. But what about meeting people in my garden being socially distanced, what about drinking outside at a pub being socially distanced. The list of banned outdoor activities that could argue that they would have no impact on the spread of the virus is pretty extensive and I agree with the all in or all out approach.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Golfers say there is no chance of catching virus through golf, church officials say the same about church worship, pubs/restaurants say the same about hospitality, etc, etc, so where on earth are all these cases coming from??
Bradford.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It is the ongoing debate through all of this. Golf involves people meeting outside and being socially distanced so should be allowed. But what about meeting people in my garden being socially distanced, what about drinking outside at a pub being socially distanced. The list of banned outdoor activities that could argue that they would have no impact on the spread of the virus is pretty extensive and I agree with the all in or all out approach.

But its not all in all out is it, I can fish, go to a riding school and horse ride, by any amount of tat from M&S becasue it has a food hall, stand about with others in a restaurant wating for my takeaway, my kids are still at school.
There is no all in approach, its a poorly thought and executed approach

Mandofred

Visit site
The difference in these examples is that there is a fair amount of "science....facts" that seem to indicate that golf is safe, huddled up in a church is not safe. But.....don't stop the football..... or all those angry fishermen(or fisherpeople:cautious:). I can say that something is or isn't safe.....question is can I prove it? I'm just closing my eyes and waiting the next two weeks....probably buy myself a new carry bag. I seem to be drinking MORE than my fair share of beer however....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
While there's definitely an 'argument' for allowing Golf during 'Lockdown', I believe the simplistic generalisation of 'lockdown' excludes participation in Golf and similar 'auto separation' activities!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
In Scotland the courses remain open, even on the highest tier. There are rules and regs relating to this (I've added them into the New lockdown will courses close? thread). I do feel for the members who do not live in the same area as the club as you're not allowed to cross the county borders.
It does seem odd that golf is not an allowed sport in England under the right guidelines. Our club is very strict about following those guidelines as they know the repurcussions if you get caught breaking the rules.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While there's definitely an 'argument' for allowing Golf during 'Lockdown', I believe the simplistic generalisation of 'lockdown' excludes participation in Golf and similar 'auto separation' activities!

Spot on. However, IF golf gets a green light to resume during a lockdown I assume it'll be a template for any forthcoming lockdowns which will of course be a bonus for us but will other "auto separation" activities get similar treatment. I get the mental and health benefits but where does it fit into a lockdown?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Like most I am disappointed with the ban, but can understand the rationale - lump golf with all other similar activities to simplify things.

Remember, whilst golf may involve "practically" no risk, some risk will remain, and of course those participating are likely to contain a higher percentage of older, more higher risk individuals than, say, tennis. Even if the risk is almost zero, surely one single golfer contracting it via golf and, god forbid dying because he or she was elderly and higher risk, is one too many.
A really difficult decision that had to be made. I don't support it wholeheartedly but I can understand why it was taken. For those who say there is no science behind it, can they say there is science to prove it is safe? Im not sure there is.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Say they said "ok, golf courses can open", how many would be attacked and vandalised by those jealous of their percieved more eliteist status?
Im happy golf is shut right now like every other amateur sport. It shows we are no better or different to every other amateur sport and I'm so glad about that.