Golf Petition to the Government

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had an email to say this will get debated by parliament on 23rd November. Here is hoping not so much for this lockdown but all future lockdowns.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Huh...that we are so special...:) Sorry - but I don't think that our government really needs to be spending time in parliament debating the concerns and wishes of the golfing community. I think it knows what we are about and on about. OK - if it has to be debated given th petition has >100K names against it...then so be it.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Huh...that we are so special...:) Sorry - but I don't think that our government really needs to be spending time in parliament debating the concerns and wishes of the golfing community. I think it knows what we are about and on about. OK - if it has to be debated given th petition has >100K names against it...then so be it.
A bit over the top dont you think, I dont suppose it will get any more time than a quick few mins. Democracy in action, which tbf you're a very big exponent of ;)

https://petition.parliament.uk/ for a list of what is, was and wil be

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

I agree with you, if we are going to escape the clutches of this virus we need to get on with the lockdown, minority activities like golf, sport in general & the church are just collateral damage which we can all do without for however long it takes.

Visit site
Seems like mental health issues are coming to the fore more frequently. On that basis, I think golf (and other sports such as tennis) has a real chance of reopening.
Personally, I think the government is really showing signs of cracking up, (some may have thought that back in March), and as far as I am concerned someone needs to show some outstanding leadership over the next few weeks, be it Boris or his missus!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It’s getting discussed in parliament fine. Will owt change, probably not. Going into a second lockdown I am all for if it is a lockdown. But playing golf in the middle of no where is a million miles away from the rammed B and Q I came out of an hour ago.
As Jim Royal would say “ lockdown my rrrrs”

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's not a debate in the main Chamber of the House of Commons, and they don't vote, but it can't do any harm.

Not directly perhaps - but public knowledge that, in whatever context, parliamentary time is being take up addressing the concerns, complaints and suggestions of the golfing community...so that we might be indulged...

Anyway - we've already given this topic loads of airtime :)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

They need to be getting it right, and as the circumstances described in Wisley show, they've got it wrong (in my opinion, obviously). How many times have you railed about Government errors (in your opinion) that you wanted rectified? Can't have it both ways.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They need to be getting it right, and as the circumstances described in Wisley show, they've got it wrong (in my opinion, obviously). How many times have you railed about Government errors (in your opinion) that you wanted rectified? Can't have it both ways.
Yes I think that you can if the substance, context and circumstances of the issue, concern or decision are quite different.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In your opinion.......
Indeed in my opinion. A 'government error' in respect of golf courses being open is, for me, of not quite the same importance as an 'error' that might irrevocably impact every individual in the UK for an unknown length of time. I see it quite reasonable to take a different stance on how each of such 'errors' are handled and reviewed by a government. But some might differ in that and see the two the same :)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s always people and activities that are more special and are/should be exempt from rules to aid the greater population....:rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Indeed in my opinion. A 'government error' in respect of golf courses being open is, for me, of not quite the same importance as an 'error' that might irrevocably impact every individual in the UK for an unknown length of time. I see it quite reasonable to take a different stance on how each of such 'errors' are handled and reviewed by a government. But some might differ in that and see the two the same :)
Andy why is shutting courses an "error"

It was a policy decision based on a country entering a lockdown. Because we don't agree with it and golf would have found a way to make it work for us doesn't make it an error

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd like to see it debated and said something like during this lockdown they will remain closed but during future lockdowns we will allow them to open. Rather than muck about opening early etc

I will say tho if this was summer I'd be more fuming..I'm all weather golfer but November isn't the worst time to have off

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Everyone will find a passionate topic to debate when it directly affects them. In this case it is golf, I'm sure tennis players/coaches will be petitioning their cause as well.
I miss the golf course and hope to return soon. However, People are dying and having seen the grieving families and body storage trucks 1st hand it is a sobering experience that puts things into perspective.