Golf newbie looking for advice

SPX

Visit site
Bit of background to me...

I've attempted to play golf sporadically over the years with limited success then about six weeks ago my eight year old son showed an interest in the game so I signed him up for a few lessons and it's turned my head too (so to speak)...

Borrowed the F-I-L's 7 iron and 3 wood and got myself to the driving range to see if my former amateur talents in other sports could transfer theirselves to the game of golf and, although I am a lot less comfortable with the woods, I'm glad to say they do and, consequently, I've now got the bug.

As I can't keep "borrowing" clubs, I'm looking for a second hand set of irons to get me through the winter practising and then look at getting a decent set (along with some lessons) in the spring.

So... any recommendations for which to go for as a second hand set of irons budget circa £150? My F-I-L uses Callaway but having looked on eBay et al the choices are bewildering; I don't mind paying for a decent set but they'll probably only be a practice set until I buy in the Spring.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Apologies, I don't think i made myself clear; I will be signing up for lessons before I play on a course proper, I'm looking for advice on what's a"decent" set of second hand clubs, thanks.

I think you’ve got to look at a Game Improver set of irons. Tap this in on google and it will give you some results. Then you can use these models to search sites like GolfBidder where at least you are buying genuine goods. You could then go visit a pro and check that the lofts and lies are suited to you and have them adjusted (if needed).

No need to bombard yourself with loads of info ATM as courses are struggling with all the wet weather, so take your time and just enjoy the prep work ready to get into the game once the spring comes around!

Where abouts are you based as well? There may be some guys on here who could meet you at a range to practice with or go for a knock some time...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'D suggest popping to a golf store like American Golf if you're near to one. Have a look at the latest clubs and see which ones you like the look of, hit a few balls if you can too. Then I'd look online and see if a secondhand set it in your price range and if not, look at that manufacturers previous clubs to see how near to new you can justify buying - most don't change their club design much over a couple of years and there are good bargains secondhand to be had.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Apologies, I don't think i made myself clear; I will be signing up for lessons before I play on a course proper, I'm looking for advice on what's a"decent" set of second hand clubs, thanks.

Apologies, I thought you said you were going to get lessons in the spring.

As for which clubs to get.......
I would visit your local golf clubs/pro shops and see what they have in your price bracket. That way you'd get professional advice and you may be able to try them if they have a range.

SPX

Visit site
Thanks for the advice thus far, great help.

I did like the feel of the F-I-L's Callaways so I might have to persuade him that he needs to treat himself to a new set and I'll take them off him!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the advice thus far, great help.

I did like the feel of the F-I-L's Callaways so I might have to persuade him that he needs to treat himself to a new set and I'll take them off him!

Or just look for a secondhand set of whatever he's got.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I went with looking on ebay for a full set of anything, bought a set for £30 and just hacked around with them, now that i'm a bit more practised I will be buying a better set as I have more an idea what I want out of them.

Chris' suggestion of trying to get a second hand setof something which felt good makes sense to me :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most driving ranges have a bag of demo irons to try.
Go try some of them when you find one you like have a look on eBay or golf bidder.
Its important to get a club you can hit
The lie is important if you are 6,2” you may need upright or 5,2” you may need flat lies.
Stiff or reg shaft depending again on your swing.
This may sound complicated but if you choose one that does not suit you it just makes ball striking harder .
Have a lesson now and the pro will give you some advice as what kind of clubs to but.

My honest advice is just get something you can hit properly and practice with that before buying a full set I.e single club or 3 clubs for now.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Be careful of advice you get from an internet forum, that would be my advice.

A lot of the guys on here bend over backwards to provide good advice, especially to people new to the game.

SPX

Visit site
Be careful of advice you get from an internet forum, that would be my advice.
I take all advice in the honour it’s meant, I can see already that this forum has established members who are keen to help which is valuable to someone such as myself who is just starting out in the game.

And I’m not a forum or internet newbie either, I’m an active poster on a Mercedes forum of some seven years.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I liked the feel and weight of them in particular, although I’m sure there are other sets out there of a similar nature!

Every manufacturer does a set of similar qualities. I had the X2 Hot (not Pro) and they were brilliant, i shot my best ever score with them and a hole in one in the round, they went miles and were dead easy to hit.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I take all advice in the honour it’s meant, I can see already that this forum has established members who are keen to help which is valuable to someone such as myself who is just starting out in the game.

And I’m not a forum or internet newbie either, I’m an active poster on a Mercedes forum of some seven years.

I'm sure advice is given with genuine meaning but what happens when you get contradicting advice?

So you take it from a of a pga pro or an 18 handicapper?