Golf newbie looking for advice

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cabby's right, and i'm sure everyone who seeks advice on the forum takes it with a pinch of salt, you have to judge yourself if the advice you are receiving is valuable / on the point.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I take all advice in the honour it’s meant, I can see already that this forum has established members who are keen to help which is valuable to someone such as myself who is just starting out in the game.

And I’m not a forum or internet newbie either, I’m an active poster on a Mercedes forum of some seven years.

Flog your Merc and get yourself some PXG clubs 🙄

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I liked the feel and weight of them in particular, although I’m sure there are other sets out there of a similar nature!

Welcome, golf will provide you and your son with many great memories !!

As for clubs, ebay is good, just be careful of where the clubs are being shipped from as you can get fakes.

Ive always thought golfbidder.co.uk have some good bargains if you look towards the older sets. Then, in time, if the passion for the game grows, and the lessons kick in, you can get fitted and invest in a new set.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any of these sort of sets of irons will be good enough to get you started (there are others on ebay)

263367530758263367530758eBay item number:

Leaves plenty in the budget for a putter and woods.

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My advice, don't spend too much now.
Get an ok set, don't break the bank and go out and enjoy.

After you have had a few lessons now and in the spring, your swing may well have changed a bit and you will then be in a better place to get fitted for something that will last a good few years and bring lots of enjoyment.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I'd advocate what others have said and invest in some lessons and get the fundamentals in place and work on what you've already go in terms of technique. Have a lot at Golfbidder. May not be the cheapest option but they do have plenty of options to fit all budgets and offer a 7 day return policy

SPX

Visit site
Thanks all for the tip about golfbidder, I’d have probably never discovered that site without this forum, and thanks for the rest of the advice...

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for the tip about golfbidder, I’d have probably never discovered that site without this forum, and thanks for the rest of the advice...

Np. Stick around and let us know how you both get on!!