Golf Newbie - Advice Please

Foxy Stoat

Hacker
Visit site
Hello All

Newbie golfer here! My name's Martin and I'm from Bristol.

I got into golf last summer but broke my finger which put paid to any golf time. Last week I picked up a club for the first time in a year, which is essentially the first time ever.

I can't afford professional lessons as I'm currently saving for my first house, so at the moment I'm pretty much limited to a trip to the driving range once a week.

I'm having trouble getting any kind of consistency with my ball striking. For example, I went today and hit 80 balls. Of these 80 about 30 were good shots (for me), by which I mean relatively straight, nice distance and (most importantly) nice clean contact with the ball (my biggest issue).

I have read LOTS of golf theory books, watched many video lessons, etc. and I think perhaps I think about it too much? Every swing I take, I'm thinking a million thoughts in my head as I'm swinging..."left arm straight"...."keep your head down"...."turn your shoulder"...."cock your wrist"....etc which probably isn't doing me any good!

I was hoping someone would be able to offer me some tips on making consistently clean contact with the ball. It's frustrating going to the range once a week and having half your shots topped, or sliced way off at an almost 90 degree angle!

I want to get out and play some par 3 courses and get some real course time/experience, but my inconsistent striking of the ball is making me not want to do it, so I thought I'd just keep putting the time in on the range and hopefully my striking will improve.

I have deliberately not purchased a driver or any big clubs, I just have my irons (5-9) and some wedges and a putter. I want to get my iron striking technique down so that I can consistently hit clean shots, before I move on to the longer/bigger clubs.

Wow, that turned into quite the essay :D

If anyone is in my area and fancies helping me out on the range with some basics, in exchange for some beer or something, that would be great!

Cheers all!
Martin

Keyser Soze

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure that getting down the range once a week (and hitting off a mat) is ideal if you want to improve to be honest.

Keyser Soze

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry to carry on, you mentioned that you can't afford lessons, i understand totally how it is, BUT, 20 quid for half hours lesson just to advise you where your going wrong is priceless !

Foxy Stoat

Hacker
Visit site
Sorry to carry on, you mentioned that you can't afford lessons, i understand totally how it is, BUT, 20 quid for half hours lesson just to advise you where your going wrong is priceless !

Yeah I get that, but surely one lesson isn't going to be of much use? I guess if I'm upfront with the pro and say that I can't afford to have many lessons but just want to nail the absolute fundamentals under the guidance of a pro.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
might be worth seeing if anywhere runs a session of group lessons as that would give you help with the fundamentals without having to pay out too much

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure where you are in Bristol but Windmill golf academy do 5/6 week beginners lessons for about £40. They do a range of days, check out the website for more details. Emma and Adrian are great coaches

Foxy Stoat

Hacker
Visit site
Not sure where you are in Bristol but Windmill golf academy do 5/6 week beginners lessons for about £40. They do a range of days, check out the website for more details. Emma and Adrian are great coaches

Thanks, I'll check that out for sure!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They even do trips to local courses, normally par 3, and give advice on the way round. This will get you used to playing on a proper course and help with shot selection

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
About 90% of good golf is your set up. That's grip, aim, stance and posture (GASP for short). Most good golf instructional books cover these points. Then keeping your eye on the ball and swinging the club should give good results. Try not to think about too many things at once, or you will grind to a halt. Rather like asking a millipede to describe how he walks! :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most ranges offer group sessions or a pro may offer block bookings at say 5 for the price of 4. It may be a hit now but you'd have the lessons in the bank and you can focus on the fundamentals and then hit the range to work on the changes and drills between time.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you live anywhere near west Bristol there is a Golf Academy at Tickenham just outside Clevedon. Might be worth while popping in and having a chat to them.

Would love to help you out but I moved away from the area over 20 years ago and am around 60 miles away now.

http://www.tickenhamgolf.co.uk/

Foxy Stoat

Hacker
Visit site

Many thanks for the tip off, just booked on to a 5 week course starting on Tuesday!

5 x 50 minute group lessons for £40! :D

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi martin
As delc said earlier it all about the grip , stance , posture and aim, so I would start with the grip and when you have learnt the grip that most suits you ( probably the overlapping grip or varden grip )then stick to it regardless of any thing else that is going on in your set up.
have a look at this for a good starting point
http://www.golftoday.co.uk/proshop/tuition/lesson2.html

Or if you prefer something visual then this may help
http://m.videojug.com/film/golf-the-grip

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your over thinking the Damn thing. Next time you go to the range. Just set up to the ball correctly. Clear your mind and swing smooth with no thoughts going on in your head.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Learn how to hold it.
Learn how to stand at the begining.
Learn how to stand at the end.
And keep your head still in the middle bit
:fore:

Foxy Stoat

Hacker
Visit site
What a bargain! Worth driving from other end of M4 for those prices.

It does seem exceptionally good value for money, there are two pros doing the sessions as well! They also do the same structure and price but at intermediate level, which I will be booking straight on I think if the beginners ones go well!