Golf near Heathrow on a Saturday?

Mickyc

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all
I have a long layover from the US for the day on Saturday next week and though I would see if I could find a course nearby that would a) take a foreigner on a Saturday and b) I would be able to rent clubs etc?
Any thoughts?
Tx

D

Deleted member 21258

Would imagine most pro shops at any club, would be able to knock you up a set of clubs (maybe not the most recent years, but most have quite a number of clubs in the back rooms). So getting a set of clubs should be fine.

Sorry cant help with that area, do not play in that area.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
What is the budget and how long have you actually got? (hence travel) I no longer live in the area, so a bit out of date... some of the locals may give better advice....

Immediate thought. Top of the price range, will be in the best condition, visitor friendly, definitely do rent clubs is The Grove. (Where they had a WGC Event) www.thegrove.co.uk/golf It is an 45mins to an hour in a taxi from the airport depending on the time of day. (M25 traffic can be bad!) Call them, they will be helpful... but it depends what events are on that day.

Nearer the airport I would call the Buckinghamshire GC. https://www.buckinghamshiregc.com/ Not sure if they rent clubs, but are visitor friendly, call and ask! Interesting course...

Lastly, mass market is Silvermere, https://www.silvermere-golf.co.uk/ probably very busy on Saturdays, not far from airport.

Hope you get a game!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Richings Park is a decent course round there, Thorney Park is quite nice as well (although back nine is not as good as the front nine). No idea if either of them hire clubs out, you'd have to ask them in advance.

sunshine

Visit site
Hi all
I have a long layover from the US for the day on Saturday next week and though I would see if I could find a course nearby that would a) take a foreigner on a Saturday and b) I would be able to rent clubs etc?
Any thoughts?
Tx

This is all about your budget. As a "foreigner " on a rare visit to England, you might want to push the boat out and play a heathland classic.

Sunningdale has 36 holes so they may be happy to accommodate you on the quieter course if you appeal to their good nature. The same goes for the Berkshire which is a little bit more affordable than sunningdale, still stunning, and has two courses. Both are less than 30 minutes from Heathrow. There are loads of great courses in this area.

The Grove is a bit further away but is a good shout as it is not a members club.

At the other end of the scale, Stockley Park was built with loads of drainage and USGA greens so used to hold up well in the wet. This used to be a cracking venue (held a Seniors tour event) but now operates at the budget end.

sunshine

Visit site
Really
Richings Park is a decent course round there, Thorney Park is quite nice as well (although back nine is not as good as the front nine). No idea if either of them hire clubs out, you'd have to ask them in advance.
Really? You're scraping the barrel here :LOL:

Thorny is truly dreadful. Richings is marginally better. Both I expect would be a mud bath right now. Better off going to a range than either of these courses.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the biggest issue at any of these courses is going to be hiring clubs. Of all of the ones quoted (and subject to cost) I would have thought somewhere like the Grove being the most likely

sunshine

Visit site
I would expect most pro shops to have demo clubs or spare clubs knocking about. If you mention it in advance I can't see it being an issue.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really

Really? You're scraping the barrel here :LOL:

Thorny is truly dreadful. Richings is marginally better. Both I expect would be a mud bath right now. Better off going to a range than either of these courses.
Well I like them. But then I'm not a snob.

4LEX

Visit site
I've played Thorney, Ritchings and Stockley and the latter isn't fit to take greenfees. It's without doubt the worst course in the South East. A complete *** tip.

Thorney is a fun course with decent greens. Ritchings is marginally better though.

Play Sunningdale, the Old is undergoing drainage works at the moment but you can't go wrong with the New. Club hire is £50 for the latest set and you'll be able to get on after lunch at this time of the year.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played Thorney, Ritchings and Stockley and the latter isn't fit to take greenfees. It's without doubt the worst course in the South East. A complete *** tip.

Thorney is a fun course with decent greens. Ritchings is marginally better though.

Play Sunningdale, the Old is undergoing drainage works at the moment but you can't go wrong with the New. Club hire is £50 for the latest set and you'll be able to get on after lunch at this time of the year.

I can not believe there is a worse golf course in the south east than Thames Ditton & Esher!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to their website Sunningdale only takes visitors Monday to Thursday. And probably costs in excess of 100 quid, no? Are you guys sure this is really the best suggestion? I was going for more practical options.

D

Deleted member 18588

According to their website Sunningdale only takes visitors Monday to Thursday. And probably costs in excess of 100 quid, no? Are you guys sure this is really the best suggestion? I was going for more practical options.

If the OP is on a stopover from the States and is prepared to hire clubs I suspect that he may have a different idea on budgets and practical options.