Golf leagues.

Ssshank

Visit site
Not that I can play, but I'm interested in how competitive course leagues will now go ahead with WHS.

It used to be that you'd have a low off 4-9 and high off 10-15.

With WHS, one course you could be off 3 and another off 5. How would they manage this range?

Or do you think it would be fixed based on your home club? obviously, if you travelled it wouldn't matter but the majority don't.

Neilglover5

Visit site
There should be no debate. Index is the demonstration of a players ability no matter which course you play (index calculations are all adjusted/calculated against the standard). England golf and Congu (see the guide to handicapping under whs) both state that competition eligibility is to be based on index. This is also the case for team competitions, otherwise, if eligibility it’s based on course handicap at your own course for example, one team could have a whole team that are better (lower index) than those representing their opponents - how would that be in the spirit of the said league and it certainly isn’t in line with the principle of the whs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As for others - email update we received yesterday included that Divisions at my place will be based upon HI and not Course Handicap. Also included was that when playing in any comp we are advised to score on basis of our Course Handicap and let the system make any necessary adjustments required for the player's Playing Handicap. We are reminded that we only need to record our gross score on every hole.

Neilglover5

Visit site
Exactly, adjusted scores for handicap purpose are always calculated against course handicap but comps are based on playing handicap. Therefore, for competition purpose when playing a Stableford, it’s always nice to know that your score is based on the playing handicap of 95% so you know how many shots you “receive”. Then you are aware of your true points total and not wondering why it’s different to what the results say when they are published.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As for others - email update we received yesterday included that Divisions at my place will be based upon HI and not Course Handicap. Also included was that when playing in any comp we are advised to score on basis of our Course Handicap and let the system make any necessary adjustments required for the player's Playing Handicap. We are reminded that we only need to record our gross score on every hole.
It appears V1 uses Playing H/cap in results reports.
For leagues it's likely that Golf Unions etc. will use HI but I suspect that Societies will use what fits with their ethos, well certainly to begin with.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not that I can play, but I'm interested in how competitive course leagues will now go ahead with WHS.

It used to be that you'd have a low off 4-9 and high off 10-15.

With WHS, one course you could be off 3 and another off 5. How would they manage this range?

Or do you think it would be fixed based on your home club? obviously, if you travelled it wouldn't matter but the majority don't.
Is this sorted yet? If so. If you're using HI to define groups then a player with an HI of 15 could have a Course HC of 19 reduced to 17 when 90% is applied. Has this been catered for at all (capped at 15) or has WHS been fully embraced? Of course a similar but lesser, reduction, is likely to apply at the low end.
As this will affect Rabbits Leagues in a similar way I'd be interested to hear how they are dealing with it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As under the UHS Exact Handicap was supposedly course/tee independent the corresponding number under the WHS is Handicap Index which is designed to be course independent.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this sorted yet? If so. If you're using HI to define groups then a player with an HI of 15 could have a Course HC of 19 reduced to 17 when 90% is applied. Has this been catered for at all (capped at 15) or has WHS been fully embraced? Of course a similar but lesser, reduction, is likely to apply at the low end.
As this will affect Rabbits Leagues in a similar way I'd be interested to hear how they are dealing with it.
Why are you reducing by 90%, the mandatory is 95%