Golf in Scottsdale / Phoenix area

HoLinWun

Visit site
Hi

Going to be in Scottsdale / Phoenix area for approx 5 days in November. Can anyone recommend some good cheap courses?

My friends and I all play off about 20 and we're looking to experience a different range of courses. Mostly interested in playing in different surroundings to usual (London courses).

Looks like November is one of the most expensive times of year in that part of the world but none of the websites seem to have prices up yet.

We're hoping to do three courses:

• Approx $20-$30
• Approx $50-70
• $100-$150

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Ho

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i have always used golfnow,com when I have been in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. You will find that there are courses in the price ranges you want, just be prepared to travel out of town for some of the courses. Here are the courses I have played in the area:

Copper Canyon
Mission Royale
Trilogy at Vistancia
Aguila
Arizona Grand - Phantom Horse
Bear Creek
Cave Creek
Dove Valley
Eagle Mountain
Estrella Mtn Ranch
Foothills
Grayhawk - Raptor
Grayhawk - Talon
Hillcrest
Kierland - all 3 loops of 9
Kokopelli
Las Sendas
Legacy
Legends at Arrowhead
Legends Trail
Lookout Mountain
McCormick Ranch - Pine
Ocotillo Blue & Gold
Palm Valley
Raven at S. Mtn
Sanctuary
Stonecreek
Sunridge Canyon
Superstition Springs
Talking Sticks - North
Talking Sticks - south
The Boulders - South
TPC Stadium Course
Troon North - Monument
Troon North - Pinnacle
Vistal
We-Ko-Pa - Cholla
Whirlwind - cattail
Whirlwind - Devils claw
Wildfire - Faldo
Wildfire - Palmer

The only one that I was not impressed with was Cave Creek.

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
Do as TXL suggests and book your golf when you get there via one of the online tee time booking services. You can also often get reduced fees at courses from some of the golf shops in the area. Most courses will also have a much reduced twilight fee if you're happy to tee off in the afternoon.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also, are you staying in a hotel while you are there, as they will likely have arrangements with local courses (or does the operator that you booked through have a helpline that you can ask?)?

HoLinWun

Visit site
No, we'll be staying in an airbnb, likely in Scottsdale. I found a couple of places that looked decent: Gold Canyon - about an hour's drive; Papago - near Tempe. They look reasonably priced but without reading the reviews of all 200 courses in the area I just don't know how to pick one course over another!

We're also going to play Elephant Rocks, near Flagstaff. Much easier to choose courses around there as there aren't nearly as many!

Thanks again for input. We may end up booking when we get there but I'm a bit of a planner and like to have an idea of where we'll need to go and how much we'll spend etc...

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All the courses I played were with and on the advice of a +2 handicapper that lives in Phoenix. We only played Cave Creek as it was the only one we could get on at 30 mins notice!

Papago is a municipal course where the condition can vary greatly depending on the budget the city has given them.

D

Deleted member 23344

I can recommend Wigwam (Gold Course) and Union Hills ... can't recall the cost though, as it was a few years ago now.