Golf In San Diego

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am going on holiday to California at the end of March for around 6 days. We are looking at staying in LA for a few days then heading down to San Diego before joining up with a stag do in Vegas. We wanted to try and involve a round of golf while in San Diego possibly LA. We haven't booked any accommodation yet so was thinking that a stay and play package might be the best value. There's a lot of courses in that area so it's a bit hard knowing where to start. We will need to hire clubs too as we won't be taking any with us. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated or even a point in the right direction. Our budget for a round would be around $100 - $150.

Cheers

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I am going on holiday to California at the end of March for around 6 days. We are looking at staying in LA for a few days then heading down to San Diego before joining up with a stag do in Vegas. We wanted to try and involve a round of golf while in San Diego possibly LA. We haven't booked any accommodation yet so was thinking that a stay and play package might be the best value. There's a lot of courses in that area so it's a bit hard knowing where to start. We will need to hire clubs too as we won't be taking any with us. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated or even a point in the right direction. Our budget for a round would be around $100 - $150.

Cheers

If you do go for a game around LA and need a forth give me a shout.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been to San Diego, my favourite US city, many times. Great place with great weather, scenery, food and golf.

Not a fan of Torrey though. If you go for twilight you may not get round. I have played rounds which started before twilight where I finished only with the help of car lights from the car park. The course is also often in rough condition and although the scenery is great there are a lot of slogging holes.

My local favourites are Maderas and Barona Creek. Also like the Grand Del Mar and Steele Canyon. Coronado is great for location and views. Not expensive either.

I would avoid Riverwalk.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
San Diego is always a special place for me as it is where I saw the Buccaneers win Super Bowl XXXVII in January 2003. The Bucs were staying at Torrey Pines and I spent a day there with the team leading up to the game. Didn't play the course though.

Getting on the course is apparently not that difficult although if you are Tiger Woods, you don't get to play weekends there .....

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. Just looking at the Torrey Pines and I don't like the idea of not been able to book a tee time unless you pay a fee of around $40. The other options also look interesting though. Cheers

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Adey we are probably going to play in LA too now. There are 3 of us so you are more than welcome to join us. What courses would you recommend?

To be honest I have not played a huge amount since moving here in the summer. I came here without a VISA and have only just started working so money has been tight. But I have been playing here because I get on cheap being ex military. It is not a bad knock for the money.

http://www.navygc.com

i have been told this is a nice couse

http://www.sf-golf.com/course/

i will ask around as golf in this area can be pricey and some of the time the standard of course does not justify the cost.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok so booked hotel in Hermosa Beach and only a couple of weeks to go. are you still up for playing MadAdey? Looking at Goose Creek. Is the traffic around LA really as bad as they say.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played a lot of golf in and around San Diego.

If you want to play Torrey Pines go there on day 1, there's usually a week waiting list.

East Lake, Chula Vista is a quality track a little inland from San Diego, perhaps 20 minutes.

Coronado course on the other side of the bridge is a public course but great value for money.

And check out Polar Golf , its an Aladdin's cave of golf gear new and old. A brilliant golf shop.

And you must have breakfast at Perry's nr hotel circle...if it's still there. Been around 10 years since my last trip over.

If I could, I would retire in San Diego.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm still up for a game depending on when your looking at playing. Because of work I can play Wednesday afternoon, all day Thursday or Friday morning. By the way, you will be taking the 91 from your hotel and yes it is as bad for tragic as you have heard. Could me of weeks back I left work at 2:30 and got home at 5:10. Not bad considering it was only 48 miles 😳